kikrman

Best filtration for big fish ??

Hey everyone I have two smaller external filters and a 2000 /lph otto internal running on my 5x2x2. I've noticed lately that since everything has grown considerably the filters just dont seem to be able keep up with the waste they're putting out. I'm not over feeding and do regular weekly water changes. What would be the best (bang for buck) option for me as money is pretty tight atm for a new filter set-up. I'll be shutting down a 4ft so i could use that for a sump or would I be better off buying a 2nd hand Fx5. Moving house in the next week or two so would be good time to drill the tank out if I were to sump it.

What do you think?

Luke

Be little bit of a process but would give thought to not shutting down your 4ft just yet and put your fish in the 4ft and get a couple of holes drilled in the 5ft which may cost about $60 depending on who and how much you can find someone in your area to do it for you. Get a couple of bulkheads with strainers so about $50 there silicon them and let them dry for a couple of days. Then swap the fish back and run your 5ft the way you are just a little lower water like below the bulkheads. Shut down your 4 ft and get a couple of pieces of glass and to divide the 4ft into your sump. Have a look at the designs in the DIY section here for sumps. You already have some media in your 2 canisters and they will be seeded and lets face it a sump is pretty much a big canister and beef it up a little - some people use gutter guard which is very cheap and you just have to buy a pump and some plumbing which should not be too much - again refer to the DIY. If you do it in stages you should be able to have a good sump going in no time.

I knew it was going to be a bit of a mission as I don't really have the tanks big enough to house all the fish. If I drain the 5ft to drill the holes and then fill the tank back up once the silicone is dry won't i need to cycle the tank again before putting the fish back in or will the seeded filters be enough to keep it going?

I only have the one 6ft display tank with a dozen larger americans, it's on a 4 ft sump, I would'nt have any thing else now.

To be honest, the sump cost me a shipload by the time it was properly set up and filled with media, about 2 or 3 new FX5's, but my fish love it and so do I.

Seems once the fish get bigger, canisters just arn't up to the job without a strict and regular maintenance schedule. Especially if your pushing the boundary of stocking limits like I am.

Brendan

Sump all the way. The most expensive part will be the media if you can DIY the rest.

Keep it simple. Some sumps are so over designed with too many compartments they end with not much more media than large canister. Design it to utilize as much area with media as possible. All you need IMO is coarse foam, fine foam, bio cubes (only in wet dry area) don't bother with cubes if you don't have a wet dry area, just pack with more of the following, > a high surface area bio media. You could use pricy stuff like matrix etc but for Americans scoria will do perfectly well and for Africans shell or coral grit/rubble

Hth :D

I would have to say, I have gone from using a 2 large internal filters in my 3ft tank (breeding pair of large americas), to 1 large sponge filter and its great!

The water is crystal clear, the fish are loving it and its the easiest thing to clean!

Im actually thinking of dumping my cannister on my 6footer and getting a couple of large sponges in there, so easy, low power consumption and just, cheaper!

Sponge filter <3 :D

What you need is not as important as why you need it. If you can work out the "why" you will work out the "what" - hope this makes sense.

Work out how many liters is in your tank.

Calculating Aquarium Volume - The First Tank Guide - How Can I Figure Out How Much Water My Fish Tank Holds?

Work out how much flow you want ie how many times you want the volume of the tank to flow - most say 4-6 times the capacity per hour and you might want to go a little more.

You also need to take into consideration the head height ie the distance from the pump to the inlet of the top of your tank. The more bends you put in it the more pressure you need to push it.

Once you have worked out the above you then need to work the amount of water to flow back. The size of the bulkhead will need to reflect this and you also need to take into consideration by putting a strainer on the outlet of the bulkhead will reduce the flow so do a little search on flows from bulkheads.

When you work out the above you will LEARN what you need. When you work out what you think post back on here and people will be able to either correct or give idea's on how to improve.

You will appreciate this more a little further down the track cause when you understand this it all comes together and you make wise decisions.

Quick answer:

For your tank about 4000lph pump and 2 x 40mm bulkheads will do a tank that size.

To put it in perspective, I have 2 x 3500lph pumps and 4x 40mm bulkheads on my 8x2x2...

Probably would have got away with three but 4 works a treat.