Guest 1

Be nice to me my world crashed yesterday!

Ok so before I left for work I fed and checked all fish as usual but upon coming home from work I checked my frontosa colony and they were all dead. Ten fish gone. I am devastated but checked everything. I had other fish in with them for weeks and they were all ok. All levels were good. Ammonia was only minutely raised. The filter was working and heat was normal. I changed the water and cleaned filter normally just last week. I did see small fingertip sized marks on some of the heads of the fish. But apart from that there was a glob of something in the filter when I checked it all out. Looked like sand and silicone mixed and about the size of a ping pong ball. Was sticky and hard to get off filter.

Anyway I am about ready to sell up n just keep a display tank of cheap guppies but dunno what to do.

I think everyone goes though what you have maybe a different extent. I know I have my times where I just feel like packing everything up, then a little while after it is all good. Feel for ya buddy. Fish Junkie is right - try and find out what went wrong. Set up the tank again and just leave till you walk past one day and get the want to fill it. Go to a couple of pet stores and wander down the tanks and see if anything inspires you.

Chin up mate, it is all a matter of time.

I had a similar thing happen awhile back. Some poison got into our water tanks without me knowing, killed majority of my fish. Now i'm selling up most of my stuff and only keeping the really personally special fish i have had since babies. Take some time off and relax, you will get back into it again when you are ready. I'm getting into planted tanks now for a change of pace.

sorry to hear of your loss.

I have to admit i have been a bit lazy recently and not vacuumed up some uneaten food on the bottom of some tanks.. when i did get around to it (after losing 2 fish..) i noticed that the food had a lot of fungusy crap, and had grown in the sand to form a bit of a clump. Not golf ball size and i didn't check it for stickyness, although i'm not sure that would cause 10 fronties to drop dead.. Maybe i haven't helped at all and just incriminated myself..

Hope the ventralis are going good! How big is your tank? I've got a few (3-4) simochromis males that could fill the void, free.

Always risky adding feeders of any type unfortunately, but I find prawns are less risky than feeder fish. Still thats a strange sudden species specific die off. Far too fast for disease..... unless it was a bizaare virii.

Far more likely a filter had a hickup. This would = low oxygen

low oxygen would effect and kill largest fish first

In this case frontosa (?)

Once they were dead

the strain on oxygen was lifted enough for other fish to survive.

I suspect either a blackout, or a temporary filter impellor obstruction.... such as a snail shell.

Edited by DeadFishFloating

I also would be looking at the feeders, I brought feeders from a shop (which Im not going to name) fed them to my pbass which were in 2 different systems, came home and 3 adult pairs dead, next day my last adult pair same thing. Water was fine, everything seemed ok. Now I dont buy feeders at all, pellets only

something i did recently my tanks are downstairs under thr house had a rat problem so i put baits out next day baits gone and first time i had ever seen rat poo on the lids on one of my tanks(festae tank). freaked me out the baits make them go for water made me start to think if they where still carrying the baits or had leftovers stuck around ther mouth and they go for a drink dropping bait in the tank. nothing happened but it did get me thinking. next time i'll be going old school rat traps and pellet gun :)

hi bec just got off phone with jason and he told me the bad news sorry to hear m8 , im now sad too :( it wouldnt be the feeders at all i fed em feeders for a while and never a problem these guys were very robust , and usually with bad feeders u get slow deteration of fish ie white spot or intestonal problems . if it was the day of that storm my guess would be lighting strie close to ur house and similtanious heart attacks (i now how jumpy they were) but in saying that it is trully one for unsolved mysteries (mayb it was a ghost that didnt lie them lol) oh well atleast u have some there fry turnin into fish now and another 30lil guys comin :)

RIP boofhead ..........................................

That sucks rebeky, losing any fish of any kind is not pleasant. I have had something similar with a heap of SGTxT babies that i was growing up for feeders. Tanks levels and temps all gravy then the next morning 400-500 dead fry. Just had sponge filters and nothing had been sprayed or put in there, just a mystery death and this was the day before the storm! i can't figure it out either as all my other tanks are sweet as!!! But i guess that's fish and you never know sometimes.........!!!