mattyk

Bristlenose question

i have a breeding quad, 3 f 1 male of common bristlenose. they laid last week and have hatched, still swimming with yolk sac. will the females try to eat the babies? yesterday there was a few outside the log and now i cant find them but one female is hanging around the log alot now?

never heard of parents eating babies so I doubt it. just check and dark crevices that you have in the tank and you will probably find them. The female is just hanging around as she is ready to lay while the male might not be ready to take on a new batch

I have commons breeding atm too and from what i have read in researching these guys, no adults will eat healthy fry. You will only find Bn eating dead fish as has already been mentioned.

One thing I have not been able to find out though is the incubation period. Does anyone know how long it is? My 2nd clutch haven't hatched yet. The eggs are an estimated 1 week old. I didn't notice the 1st clutch until I saw bn fry everywhere in the tank.

What an awesome experience for a young kid though

I have a pair that have breed none-stop since they started. The eggs seem to hatch a few days after we notice them. As the BN are in a mixed tank we move the father and the breeding tube to a nursery tank as soon as. Also the father has gotten loads better, at being a dad, batch after batch. In the beginning many of the fry would be out of the tube while they still had their sacks on. Now though he wont let the fry out until they are about 1cm around 2 weeks after they hatch. Then dad goes back in with mum and we usually start the whole thing again 2 weeks later.