clipper

Biggest Disappointment?

Hey all,

I know we like to post our successes and triumphs in the hobby and share the joy that this great hobbies brings but for me recently fish has brought me more pain then anything. Over the past 3 years i have been growing and purchasing peppermints from different bloodlines including local stock and that of state wide sourcing. In september this year i had 9 pairs breeding all of which spawned large batches with excellent healthy fish including two clutches of eggs that i artificially raised myself. (individually removing non fertilized fungal ones. Anyway long story short i lost about 500 fish in the past week in different tanks within hours of each other. Mind you this was utterly devastating as i had been doing water changes everyday 3 days on my grow out tanks and feeding them twice a day with daily vacuuming.

Im not a huge breeder of fish like some of the other members here but i put my heart and soul into this passion and thought i might share not only my successes but a bit of heartache brought on by my love for fish. Anyway just curious is all as its very hard to think of where to from here for me currently.

clipper

I had an experience where I lost a coupla hundred bucks worth of natives over a few weeks, i didnt know what was happening until I saw this tiny little Murray cod chasing some around (rookie mistake), dont ever give up!

I know its hard but you're gonna have to just keep going or start again.......

im really sorry for your loss, this happens in fish keeping and its a risk a lot of us take.

If it's any consolation..............I don't have much trouble breeding anything but peps. Every batch I've tried to raise or breeders I've tried to breed, have all died from some fungal infection above their nose. I've had other fish in the same tanks (without sterilising after death of peps) and no problems. There's just something about peps that has me bamboozled.

kev

seams to be a bit if this (loss) around in the last weeks, 1 of 2 things, either balck outs during the day (no air or water movment) or 2 new or too much chemicals in the water, I would suspect the second,

MMMMM

Sorry to here - but keep going, try, try, and try again, then keep trying, I have lost 3 batched of babies in the last 4 weeks, parents eating them, and I do feed the parents well !

Ben

Clipper I wiped out a whole 6x2x2 of peppermint fry mate. Worse still they were my girlfriends.

Put a whole jap pumpkin in there, and left it in too long. Ammonia nuked the tank.

I was not popular hey.

But my biggest personal disappointment is not getting bullrout fry. I tried everything over 4 years except injections, and just couldnt trigger them.

Very rewarding experience, just awesome fish.

But I never managed to get a tankload of fry.

My biggest disappointment nearly had me giving up fish altogether I was so disgusted.

I bought 8 x 3cm L260 queen arabesque juvies for $320 each, a total of $2,560.

Within hours of getting them they started dying. This wasn't a case of they didn't acclimatise, there was something really wrong. They would look fine, then start trembling like they had a huge headache. They would die like that within 24 hours with not a mark on them. It seemed extremely infectious.

As if that wasn't bad enough it spread (by my hands feeding?) to the tank beside it. It had 7 L046 2cm zebs fry I had had for a couple of weeks. I lost all bar one totaling $4,200 and the only reason I didn't lose the last one is that in desperation I turfed it into a tank full of whiptails further along my fishkeeping racks. It lived fine.

Not to end there, the 3 L134 juvies on the other side of the L260 tank also got infected and I lost those worth $500.

No other fish in the further along tanks were affected. Total financial loss was $7,260.

I never found out what the L260 had, nor have I ever seen anything like that happen ever again and never want to.

ouch! that hurt me just reading it

My biggest disappointment nearly had me giving up fish altogether I was so disgusted.

I bought 8 x 3cm L260 queen arabesque juvies for $320 each, a total of $2,560.

Within hours of getting them they started dying. This wasn't a case of they didn't acclimatise, there was something really wrong. They would look fine, then start trembling like they had a huge headache. They would die like that within 24 hours with not a mark on them. It seemed extremely infectious.

As if that wasn't bad enough it spread (by my hands feeding?) to the tank beside it. It had 7 L046 2cm zebs fry I had had for a couple of weeks. I lost all bar one totaling $4,200 and the only reason I didn't lose the last one is that in desperation I turfed it into a tank full of whiptails further along my fishkeeping racks. It lived fine.

Not to end there, the 3 L134 juvies on the other side of the L260 tank also got infected and I lost those worth $500.

No other fish in the further along tanks were affected. Total financial loss was $7,260.

I never found out what the L260 had, nor have I ever seen anything like that happen ever again and never want to.

As Brenda wrote there are times you feel like giving it all away...and with a loss like the one you describe ,not just the money value but the fish themselves

Some friends of mine are going through something similar with their bristlenose breeding stocks at the moment ,babies just dieing all the time ...Long fin albino's-and common's ,short fin albino and common's all just dieing for no clear reason

I had some weird fungus go the through my setup not long ago ...lost lots of cories and a pair of long fin coral blue rams which really upset me no end ,and yet other types of fish where uneffected -go figure