Hi I've nearly finished doing up all my tanks . but needs lil things added to it like black backing for the 4ft tank. more glass lids in 3 ft tanks......finally bought and set up Fluval Fx5 and removed two white canisters to 2x3 ft tanks. ( yes i made the white racks its ok but its my first time building it ;))

lil info

4ft - 5 electric yellow cichlids (thanks Glynn)

5 mainganos (thanks Glynn)

6 white knights (thanks Tangy i think)

2 x 3 ft tanks (thanks liljohn_83 )

top 3ft housed 4 albino BN (thanks Glynn)

bottom 3ft housed 4 pepps (thanks Goonibird)

Also added some lava rocks and driftwood from liljohn_83 thanks.

I;ve seen shanoz's tank and i like his fish xmas fulu..... i might add some of these with my cichlids......

any feedbacks or ideas? cheers

dscf2571a.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dscf2573f.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dscf2575s.jpg

Gotta love the good old ebay cannisters, thats all i use :D

you say you got rid of them, what happened to them?

i love the sandy look in the cichlid tank!

yeah theyre good and cheap:) nah i didnt get rid of them ... but moved them from 4ft tank to 2x3ft tanks .. you can see 4th pic where these cheapies are now.

Nice tanks, looking good mate!

thanks :) any more fish should i add? or 16 juvvies fish enough for now ? but one more thing i need a cleaner. either thinking of getting a pair of clown loaches but dont think they can tolerate 8.0PH...... was gonna put BN in but again they cant tolerate 8.0PH ...... apple snail???? i bet cichlids will eat it. what other cleaner is suitable for this tank? cheers

Synodontis Catfish species do well in high pH's, specifically the Tanganyikan species (Syndontis Multipunctatus and Synodontis Petricola). They will do a great job cleaing up un eaten food but are not great algae cleaners. Most of the species grow 15cm+ but you could get away with a couple of juveniles using them for cleaning duties whilst they grow and then sell them onto a bigger tank. Watch out with the Multipunctatus if you are planning on breeing your cichlids as they will eat the cichlid eggs whilst they are spawning and lay there own eggs which will subsequently be picked up by the female cichlid who will rasie the fry (Interesting!) Anyway just ideas.

Yeah thats what I do, still took me 3 or 4 goes though, the tiniest bit of air gets in and they die. Prime button on them is useless as is the intake and outlet "hard" plumbing.... Replace this with irrigation plumbing ($30 worth) and all together you got a pretty descent canister for $110 delivered ! ! ! Good to see others succeeding with the cheaper stuff.....

Oh and I know its not ideal But Ive had Bristlenose and even Sailfin survive fine in PH 7.8 so they might be ok in 8.0 - especially if bought from a LFS - most of brisbanes Tap water is around 7.5 and I doubt most LFS's would be changing that to store $10 B/N's.... Buy a few for $5 each on here and give it a go.

Edited by Hennessy

tanks and fish look great! i have one of those big white canisters on my 5x18x2 and its great with the uv light built it! when you do your black background i wouldnt recomend aanything shit it give of to much glare especially in photos, i think black cardboard is the bes, or you could paint the backs mat black?

cheers ben