blade87

thorts on heaters in sump?

That's where mine are. Neater, tidier, fish can't hide behind them and burn, or bust up against them and break them.

I would like to say something that I just learned last week about Jagers. I had dinner with the Australasian head of Eheim the other night (lol I am not name dropping!) we weren't really supposed to talk business but I was saying that I replaced the heater in my Juwel with a Jager and I really liked the efficiency.

He told me they had been testing the efficiency of them for over the last year and have found that replacing your standard heater with a Jager will save you almost $130 to $150 AUD per YEAR over the life of the heater. Its because the internal thermostat regulates to a half degree either side. So if you have it set for 26C it shuts off at 26.5 but will kick back on at 25.5. This half degree fluctuation means that the water stays constant - and there is never a huge volume to heat. That's where the efficiency is at. The consistency is the key. Apparently they are going to publish this soon.

Makes you think twice about saving that $30 over a cheaper heater doesn't it. /Eheim propaganda :P

Yes its a good idea..BUT

A problem I commonly see is having a heater with the efficiency to keep up.

Depending on your piping and location of the tank, you can lose a few degrees of temp quite easily and your lil 200w will be working over time.

Then there is the issue of fitting them in your sump... 90% of sumps i see do not have the room for a 2ft jager.

IMO jagers and other well know brands should be the only ones used....you will see only Jagers in my tanks.

Edited by FIIK

Yes its a good idea..BUT

A problem I commonly see is having a heater with the efficiency to keep up.

Depending on your piping and location of the tank, you can lose a few degrees of temp quite easily and your lil 200w will be working over time.

Then there is the issue of fitting them in your sump... 90% of sumps i see do not have the room for a 2ft jager.

IMO jagers and other well know brands should be the only ones used....you will see only Jagers in my tanks.

hallelujah bruvva.......i'm hearin ya ;) a lil off topic but some may suggest "inline" heaters. imho they are under powered (yes i know they come in 300w) and no good for tanks larger then a couple hundred litres. best options are jager 300w or stainless ones HTH :)

i have 2 x 300 watt jagers in there and temp hasent gone down so seems to be working

Im sure it would be mate :) .. Its was a general statement rather then directed at your particular case..sorry if any confusion.

But what temp have got them set on ??

Generally when running dual heater set up I have one heater set 2C below the other, thus the lower heater only work when it really needs too.

Titanium would transfer heat better than glass due to conductivity...

I run 3 300W jager heaters in my sump but I find one is constantly on, one is set at 24 degrees and the other two at 23 degrees

would it be better to set all at the same temp?

and this is the funniest thing I've ever heard about a fish

flower horns they love the warmth and gives better kok growth

sig worthy?