ash

Is this right...?

Ok someone double check me on this...

I'm hooking up a float valve to my sump to top up evapped water automatically.

It will be supplied directly from mains water.

If I install an RO unit on the water supply, I will no longer need to use prime, right?

Guess what asking is will an RO unit remove everything but the water...

ahh yeah, chlorine and cloramine is pretty much all i want definately removed....

couple of Q's

anyone recommend a unit?

the more basic the better, dont wanna spend too much on it

is there different levels of filter effectiveness? like micron size or is it one size does all

yes you wont have to add prime, but its still good to use a little bit every know and then as chlorine/chloramines can get it through other means. Plus prime reduces ammonias toxicity etc.

What are you planning on using the RO water with? what fish etc?

its only worth while if you've got a finicky soft water setup (i.e. wild discus etc) or saltwater.

You can get sediment/chlorine and chloramine filters that work the same way an RO unit does but without all the waste water. These wont lower your GH/KH and wont do much/if anything to your PH level.

Edited by dditt

They sound better, do you have a link to more information on em?

It's just for my 8ft African display tank, evap top up from mains will be auto and at random intervals depending on evaporation rate, so instead of dosing with prime was hoping to just run it through a filter like RO... But yeah they sound better, or at least another option to consider....

RO units do not like to produce small amounts several times a day.

Better off having a storage drum for your recently made RO water that then feeds your tank via small pump or gravity IMO.

The first few litres of recently made RO are normally discarded.

DI would be unnecessary.

yeah you definately don't want RO water for africans... you'll be buffering the hell out of it which will cost a fortune.

Chloramine Water Filters Systems

something like the above, but there are a myriad of different choices, so depends how much you want to spend... i plan on getting mine off ebay though, i cant fathom spending $300 on one..