Zuthdahr

55G community planted tank in construction

G'day,

At last my tank stands arrived, and I've had a tank cycling for about a month.

Got my plants in order thanks to Liverpool Creek, my LFS and Brissy!

I've got gravel over a bed of laterite, vermiculite and expanded clay pebble. My plants are loving it already, but I look forward to the coming months as they fill out a little more.

I want to make up a community tank of more peaceful cichlids (likely dwarfs in this tank, and kribensis, discus?) Please feel free to recommend some suitable fish to consider.

I'm trying to balance my desire for a planted tank, with my need for caves for my cichlids. I'd like to add some more caves in here, so any more ideas of were to put them without compromising my plantable areas, I'm open to suggestions.

Look forward to hearing from you. I'll put up a few more pics of the construction phase if wanted, nothing too special as yet though.

Kurt

P1020041tt.JPG

hey mate, I have a few little american caves, a few dollars each is fine. Also, discus are quite hard to keep, I would suggest starting with dwarfs and small americans/west africans like ellioti, kribs, apistos, thomasi ect. plants are looking good. Do you have any of your substrate stuff spare? If so, next time you come round I wouldn't mind buying it off you.

ps, I have a huge bunch of java fern here if you want it

looks good so far.. is your lighting suitable for the growth your attempting? the tank doesn't look all too intense with light...

I like the scape and the tree trunk type think on the left, but the slate in the background seems a little out of place, and if your considering americans i'd swap the slate for some driftwood. It will look better and the tannin release will help keep your PH down.

Using 4xt5HO unit on the tank, so light should be enough... what do you think of using an LED setup?

I'll probably lose the slate at the back as most of them will be hidden by the plants - just filling in space for now. I have driftwood soaking at the moment...

I've never kept discus before, as I had read that they are a little tricky - I can see myself with some kribs, apistos and elliotti though. I have another 4ft tank right beside this one which is likely to house some slightly larger cichlids (rather than the dwarfs) - likely firemouths, blue acaras / jack dempsey or the like.

Thanks for the encouragement, and tips so far.

The caves are just diy - sectioned pots with silicone and gravel. I've put the mud and gravel over them to encourage more plant growth over them to make them appear a little less artificial down the track.

I think the salivini may be a little too aggressive for my tanks - perhaps for a larger tank one day when I go for the more highly strung cichlids. I agree they are beautiful.