n6230806

selling fry to LFS

I've got to admit - it really depends. I usually get all my angels off of whoelsalers unless its something rare or stunning. Its not that we don't want to work with you guys, its just that retail relationships (retailer and supplier) is a two way street.

For every slightly "overpriced" bristlenose that I order in from a wholesaler - it makes my account and my support of them bigger. This means that as a shop we can pull our weight a little and then we get first crack at new German imports, the best discus out of quarantine, or they will hunt down a special request from overseas.

So what I mean is, its not that some shops don't want your fish - its just that as a bulk buyer we will want it for less than you may want to sell it, or if its common, some of us prefer the wholesalers.

yea i can understand that, everyone wants to make profit. no matter what, i will still take them to the lfs, selling the whole lots to the lfs at once is just easier than sell a few each time on the forum, but i just wanna knw how much will they worth before i take them to the lfs, like 20c,50c,$1 each????

thx

Ask the lfs would help

yep

no matter what we guess

unless we are the lfs owner

we have no idea of the amount.

Maybe take the lfs owner out for a night on the town.

Feed them rums all night and then hit them up on buying angel fry in the cab on the way home.

Personally thats how I think all fish deals should go down.

I also suggest call first,

I have a relationship with some LFS that is a direct trade, we both win, but a fish they sell for $18 to $20 I would not expect to get more than $1 - $2 each

and a fish that is $5 I would say $0.50 c

again call first, get a relationship going, they are morelikly to trade and buy if you inturn buy from them and have been there for a while

Guys, talking from the other point of view, most stores will do store credit, this is for various tax reasons, ie buy from a wholesaler it is all through the books, buy cash from a breeder then you are taxed on the whole amount, that is why you get less. Rule of thumb would be for good quality juveniles and fish that actually turnover, then you could get somewhere around 30-40% over the sale value of the item. at worst I would say around 20%, now that does not work with adults, as they take more space and are usually harder to sell. Form a good relationship with an LFS and they will or atleast should, look after you with your purchases, and that can then be a win win situation.

And resale for how much?

does it matter? i allways wonder why peeps are curoius to see how much better a salesman the buyer was then them. thats not to sound harsh but after the transaction you make with the store.....does it matter the mark up? i sell fry in 100's lots to stores and am either happy with the transaction.....or i dont make it. JMHO i guess....and thats all i got :lol:

$1-$2 fish and re-sale for $20? Your dealing with a dodgy shop mate.

Seph

Not at all - we have what we would like to call "overheads".

Put it in perspective - You have your fish room and your electricity and water cost x-amount that you have to recoup - now lets say that in your fish room, you have 8 employees that work 8 hour days lets say they are on the young side and only casuals - so thats 64 x $20 = 1280 + Super, what is that 9%? so thats 1395 x 6 = 8370 for Monday through Sat. Obviously Sunday is time and half = so 50 x 6 hours x 8...

Well I'm too tired for maths its over $10000 a week in wages, not including rent, insurance, utilities and rates, thefts, deaths etc...

So my friend, who are you calling dodgey for trying to recoup some profit?

400% mark up is much the norm and covers overheads ;) i allways enjoy banter and innuendo. some of us are aware of the running costs of shops and "overheads". i am quite happy in the knowledge of what mark ups happen but we dont really need to make "excuses" for em. shops live and die by the custom and if the prices are too high no custom is given. obviously the prices are'nt too high yet but i do um and arh about making a purchase i deem to be "a lil rich" :lol: JMHO

are you talking about instore products or do people actually reach in and take fish?

yes they steal fish. a good one is using a mcdonalds cup to scoop fish out whilst they think no one is looking :lol: if i caught em i would make em "drink up please" and i would "insist" ;)