goneself

Cichlid Intelligence

After adding a new log to my american tank, I'd be interested to know what the popular opinion is regarding the intelligence of american cichlids.

This particular log was too small for the boys to fit into- it's there for feeder crays,fish and shrimp to hide in. Jag seemed to realise this immdiately, floating in front of the entrance and measuring it up- he put his head in and had a good look, hasn't paid it any attention since.

At the other end of my scale, the fenny was completely confident h could fit, smacked into it at good speed and got slightly stuck. Hilarious the first time- I don't know how many times it will take him to get it, but as I type this he's trying again.

So- where does everyone rate their fish on a 1-10 scale? (1, of course, being the realm of goldfish,guppys, and africans).

I rate the texas at about a 7. I would go higher but he used to bite me when I vac'd the tank out when they had eggs or fry lol.

he would wait at the same spot of the tank at the same time every night, waiting to be fed, knew my daughters face from 10ft away cause he would start going ballistic on the glass and would just stare at my son. could escape a net in the tank for half an hour with no furniture in there and was really placid at other times allowing me to pat him.

I rate dovii at the top of the scale for intelligence, and absolutely fearless..............all the cichlids that have both parents care for their young and don't beat the crap out of their partners seem to have more intelligence than most other cichlids

Goldfish are quite smart and easily trained. Africans vary a lot..... but at least most of them can work out on the fly what logs they can fit in lol.

As to guppys..... thats harder. On one hand females are willing to risk death from predators to escape sexual harassment by males.... but on the other hand are mindless.... except when about to drop and then become sneaky.

Theres also this

'Genius Fish' Strategizes Like Humans: Discovery News

not quite a guppy, but a stickleback is similar.

I consider F.Rostratus to be quite intelligent.

As far as other cichlids.... I have seen some flowerhorns that were more cunning than any other cichlids in their tanks.

my flowerhorn is on the ball if im at the computer and didnt feed him when i walked in the room he smacks the lids and spits rock till i go and feed him i all so have a parralles (bad spelling i know) he is a african any way that dances but only when my missus puts her figure on the tank but no one ealse can get him to do it and we both feed him

my flowerhorn is on the ball if im at the computer and didnt feed him when i walked in the room he smacks the lids and spits rock till i go and feed him i all so have a parralles (bad spelling i know) he is a african any way that dances but only when my missus puts her figure on the tank but no one ealse can get him to do it and we both feed him

should'nt be talking about fh on this part of the forum my friend.......however you make a valid point. i own a couple of these hybrid fish and in all honestly they are the most intelligent cichlids i keep. i keep all the big americans and have found oscars to have alot of smarts about em too. my dovii's i would rate at 7, texas and red devils at 8 oscars are a 9 and fh an 11/10 ;) i have seen them actively "problem solve", ignore all other family members and visitors. they allow you to pat em yada yada yada. as for vieja (re the fene remark) yes i keep a few spp. in fene,mels,syns,hartwegi,and black belts but they do lack a little in intelligence imho :lol:

i have found the more aggression a fish has the more of a problem solver they will be and this alone is why i dont mind having a big tank and spending big for just one fish the interaction for me goes way past looks and love when people who have nothing to do with fish who think they all have 3sec memorries have thier mind opened a little bit in saying that i think aussies are the smartest but do not look any where near as good as cichilds so to get the best of both worlds looks ande smarts americans are the way to go its a bad old world in the water and smartest wins

I agree with flowerhorns.. Very smart and good working out things.. When had one by himself in 3ft he'd do that same spitting rocks at me if I don't feed him around right time.. God they eat though! Red devils I've had to been smart buggers! Big female use to bite me when clean tank if I wasn't watching her the whole time, literally gave her a second where I don't look at her it's to late I'd be bit haha

Within a minute of dropping a Larger Jardini in the tank, my male 6 inch Festae knew that it could not see anything directly below itself ...... He worked out that if he swam vertically under the jardini he could get close while staying out of the field of view. His throat was "gone" about an hour later. Guess it would be hard to argue the difference between intelligence and instinct....

its a hard one to gauge africans are not in the same boat as goldfish guppys, but do vary, i had an albino pindani that was the definition of dumbass, but that was just one fish my fryeri are more calculated, read up on there feeding stratergies in the wild, two distinct feeding stratergies not generally used by other malawi cichlids (raiding catfish nests and mimicing grazing mbuna to prey upon mbuna fry). i imagine hormones play a signifigant role in african behaviour.

i think we have to remember there is always a difference between the grazer and the predator, its just how nature fans out.

i would put mangrove jack at the top as my percieved most intelligent fish. and its interesting that i have seen this is such young individuals species wise. adults are rarely given room to move around and express any natural behaviour.

intelligence is only one survival stratergy. carp, pigeons, sheep all know how sussesful being a dumbass can be.

cheers