Sign in to follow this  
cichlidwoman

Fish Babysitter

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a business or someone who's inot fish minding (I have a 4 foot tank with two canister filters)?

I'm about to go on a holiday for 3 weeks and I have my flatmate to feed the fish but she knows nothing when it comes to looking after them. I'm pretty confident that with a change of water, filter clean and all the house work done in the tank they'll be fine for 3 weeks, nonetheless it would really set my mind at ease if there was someone she could call if something were to happen....

Other than that has anyone got any good advice when it comes to leaving your fish when you go on holiday. I've just recently bought an air pump that converts over to a rechargeable battery if the power goes out so that one less thing to worry about.

Alana

I'm a little untrustworthy with people feeding my fish & have a few tanks.

What I do if put the food into film canisters on top of each tank. The film canisters have the day & date written on them & each have the appropriate level of food in them - usually less than normal. Then hide or put away your big container of food so the only stuff is the film canister food.

I feed my home made food and draw a square on the front of the tank with permanent marker which shows how much.

Makes it pretty easy for the inexperienced, well meaning, feeder to do things right. Unfortunately when people are inexperienced with fish & they see them looking unhappy the first thing they do is give them some food. This usually adds to the problem. Clean water while you're away is the key. 3 weeks will be fine. Clean one of the filters a week or two before you go - so you'll be around just in case there';s a problem. Then change the water a couple of days before.

Save this website in your friends favorites & give them your log-in - tell them to sign in & ask if there's any problems.

The fish will be fine - 3 weeks with less food than normal won't be a problem.

Matt

alana,

i pm'd you and recvd no reply. as gofast mentioned, do a water change before you go, maybe measure your food out (good idea gofast) and things should be fine. good luck

col

I use those weekly pill containers. You can get them for a few bucks each from chemist or crazy clarks. Cant go wrong with them. As gofast said, half the amount you normally feed them, and you will be sure to have no problems.

Jason

I use those weekly pill containers. You can get them for a few bucks each from chemist or crazy clarks

lol. I use them too. Different coloured ones for different tanks ...

3 weeks isnt too long, clean filters and a water change a few days before u leave. ull b fine

Hamza

I left a couple 3 foots at my mums place when i last moved house.... big mistake LOL

when i went around there i'd lost a fair few geo's rio pindare.... she kept feeding them and they weren't eating, the tank was covered in flake :lol: hard lesson learnt.

I had another tank with some fronnies and cuckoo's, luckily they had the will to live :laugh:

So yeah, leave them a list of instructions incase anything goes wrong and a food ration is the best soloution... wish i had of thought of that, or not left mum in control of feeding them :sorry: :sob:

Food is going to be your biggest concern

As everyone has suggested get some small containers and measure out some days for them

Though if you want Leave them my shop number and if they have any major problems I will be avail. to help them out

Brad

Sign in to follow this