I really do not know the ins and outs and can not explain and hoped that some one may have been up a bit late to answer - all I can say is what I have read and what is on here. I do not think that the water is as important as your rocks and media. I remember reading on here that bacteria will grow on things more than in the water. If it was me I would put some of the rocks and or media in water and put a airstone in it. Which is filtration of sorts. I would not leave the media out. Think I read that some bacteria will start to die off in 20 minutes if left out of water.

I don't think I was much help - sorry

There is some bacteria in the water but the very vast majority of it is in your filter materials. It be easier and faster to split your filter materials (half new, half old ... ish.) between the new and old tanks (filters) and/or just cycle your new filter in an old tank for a week or two. Tanks themselves, nor the water in them, really need cycling as it's all about the filter and the bacteria in that.

The new tank should be ready almost immediately, especially if you also use a percentage of the "used" water as well as a "cycled" filter.

Edited by Wobles

Thanks guys. As I thought. Have a filter from another tank which is going in the new, then a canister filter which will cycle itself at the same time. Plenty of rocks from another tank also, so I would assume the new tank will be ready to add fish almost immediately.

Just wanted your thoughts & opinions.

Thanks for your replies :)

I clean the filter media in some buckets of aquarium water

then throw them into the new tank full of dechlorinated wated

you want to remove excess sludge as that will compete with o2

but yea give it a quick clean

so you have a nice lean bacteria colony ready to explode!

While the bacteria population density will slowly drop off, the species diversity does not nessisarily do so.

I'd say bacteria colony would remain viable for at least 2 weeks.

Edited by DeadFishFloating

Another trick is not to completely fill the new tank, leave the water level down a bit, and as the cycle builds up, just add more water to dilute it.

Good point there Brengun.

Tank is set up, aquascape will come later after I shift a bucket load of rocks in there to hold down golden vine etc. 4 male ellioti added this arvo...all doing well. Still a little cloudy but will settle given time.

Green terror to be added tomorrow.

post-3992-14711625349285_thumb.jpg