dragon76

aquaponics anyone into it or can help???

getting into aquaponics. for those that don't know its maintaining a fruit and veg grow med with the nutriments fish produce in there water sorta a cross between hydroponics and aquaculture. just feed the fish and u get fruit, veg and fish to eat :)

anyway i'm chasing aquaculture fish tanks they are like a big tub i can use a ibc for this but was hoping i might pick up something cheaper looking around the 1000lt size???

then second i need to get fingerling fish to go in the system atm don't know what varity i want was thinking barramundi but would settle on any freshwater native fish thats good to eat. anyone know a supplier???

lastly if anyone can get food grade ibc's cheap let me know as well??:).

ICB's will be the chapest way to go matey. Im pretty sure Neyund2 has food grade ICB's

I would go wiht Barcoo grunter, hardy fish, grow quick & contain MORE omega 3 than any othe fish Im pretty sure...

There is a fish farm between beenleigh & Mt tambourine that sells fingerlings.

Good luck mate & keep us posted on how you are doing it & pictures :)

I think its cool..

But Is it really worth it? You have to Spend a crap load on setting it up then more on fish and fish food use a crap load of water which you would need to filter which would also cost a crap load and then the fruit and veg plants etc. Is it worth it for the return you get?

It'd be interesting to try out though.

Theres some aquaculture tubs here too.. http://www.qldaf.com/forums/dry-goods-13/aquaculture-tubs-tanks-mangroves-roots-driftwoods-pumps-fs-55694/

its totasly worht it mate. setup is very simple. As the gravel bed (garden bed & plants) act as your filter, so all you need is a pump to move the water up to the plants level. Most lilkley a solar unit for the real greenies. Finigerlings are cheap as & will grow fast outdoors & feed them commericial pellets. Planst will grow extremely fast due to the amount of waste produced by the fishies :) everyone wins :):)

Fish & veggies all around!

just a question; I've always wondered what you do with the fish if they get sick or some sort of disease, get rid of them or is there medication that is safe to use?

cheers craig for info very helpful

the only water that u lose from system is evaporation and what the plants use but hey i got about 2000lt worth in tropical fish tanks i do a %25 water change weekly on so that water will go into top up the aquaponics system :D so it comes down to the cost of a sump pump :D

peter ford for ibc's (food grade)

jade peach fish of choose for aquaponics (grow fast 1.2kg -2kgs of food to 1kg of eattable fish, 3x the omega3)

google "Murray Hallam" has a great dvd out

most suppiers would be taking orders for fish now yet try S.E.Q

hope this helps

good luck

Mate, my son is a university qualified aquarist. He is a level 2 aquarist with Cairns Marine. He is also heavily into hydroponics himself and swears by the benifits. He would be happy to speak to anyone about the best ways to set up a system, big or small. If you want his phone number, PM me and I'll pass it on.

Cheers Warwick.

cheers warwick i might take u up on the offer later on.

the system i'm doing 3 growbeds 2 sumps 1 fish tank

atm i have have heaps of info on building the system. atm i'm just trying to source all the gear i need at a good price. food grade ibc's i have seen on ebay (local guy) for $90 this seems an ok price (i'm after 6 ibc's) then the grow bed medium will be my next problem the expanded clay balls would be my ideal medium but the price of the stuff is crazy. i'm doing 3 grow beds for the moment 300lt each (for purposes of working out how much medium i need won't hold that much water) so 900lt, on ebay i have seen it for abt $25 for 30lt. i can use just 10mm pebble but my info tells me the clay is better.ther r other methods like floating raft but i think for what i want to grow this won't be suitable.

i wasn't sure on what fish to stock but have received some good info so far on that cheers to craig and woftam. i was also considering having some yabbies or redclaw in the 2 sumps i plan to have but not sure how these guys will go with low ph.

so thats where i'm at if anyone has more advice to add

Hi

The crayfish will do well in the sumps and you are better to run redclaw down your way. You will need plenty of cut up pipe or other hides for them. It is a good idea to start out with berried females only and let them hatch in the sumps. Avoid trying to stock them with adult crayfish. Redclaw and yabbies will be in berry in SE Qld now. Any of the brisbane dams will have plenty of redclaw, especially north pine.

Good luck.

Paul