tropheusmike

4 Peppermint Bristlenose Deaths in 24hrs HELP please

HI all, yesterday one of our adult female peppermints was dead in the tank. We did a water change as it was due, gravel vac etc. Then this morning have noticed one of the adult males dead and the remaining two adults on female and one male are covered in what looks like green mould. There were two juvies in the tank too. One of them had the mould on it and is now dead. The other adult female died also. The second juvenile has no discolouration and looks fine. The last male is still alive buy I have grave fears for him. We have treated with pimafix today. Is there anything else we can or should do? Any help is appreciated. So very sad today. :( We have spent alot of time making sure this tank was pristine for these kids well before purchasing them. 4ft tank, gravel, driftwood and bn logs. eheim 2217 canaster filter and 1800lt/hour power head, plus a 4ft air curtain. No ammonia or nitrite, ph 7.2

Thanks post-5620-14711625356913_thumb.jpg

post-5620-1471162535664_thumb.jpg

Might be worth seperating him. Do you jave a QT tank? Are all other fish ok? For this to kill only one type of fish in the tank gives us a few ideas. What else do you feed them? Did you do anything different just before the first one died? Any other info you can give us, stocking tank size etc

Thanks so much for all the replies and advice. We dont use the town water so not chlorine. This tank is specifically for the peppermints so only had the four adults and two juveniles. All that is left is the adult male I have tried to photograph, he is covered in green stuff, looks a bit like a really fine web, even on his eyes, the others that died were the same. One of them I noticed after she had died that she had blood all over her, like it was eating her. The other juvenile, appears unaffected.

rain water , anything in tha tank , dead toad ?? cockie gone through a bait into the tank , air spray of anykind , no new forien plant , or timber , copper pipe from tank ?? do you boil the water ie copper element in the kettle , knew a person who did that n obviously let it cooled prior to adding to the tank , still got copper poisoning , no contaminents from rain collection areas to tank , any guilty looking kids had to add that for a laugh

HI Gravel Rash, we have been talking about the possibility of it being the tank water. It is a new home so the tank is sealed, but of course stuff can go wrong. LOL guilty looking kids, no thank goodness. It just happened so suddenly. bloody fish. $400 gone in less than 24hrs and still maybe the big male fish wont make it. Nothing in the tank was changed. We are really at a loss. The rotten things hide so much it is hard to keep an eye on them.

concrete tank , new , high levels of lime n calcium , poly can have plastics residues from the glues in the moulding process , tin tanks , all sorts of stuff from zinc zincalume , lead , kero , worked with em all installing n making them even though their sealed whats in them untill their flushed , n run in the water can even taste well crap

copper brass or poly fittings n perhaps residue of somesort in the tank , n if u have a tin roof chemical run off from that , if tile roof could be bits of mortar , that washed into the water , just guessing , a few mates do roofing n before they hook up ther gutters they wash the roof , just food for thought hope it helps

Thanks for the info. so hard to know. We have two other fish tanks that we use the same water for water changes and have not had any problems with them. Tiled roof on the house. There is some copper piping from the tank to the house after that I dont know it is in the walls. If this boy makes it through the night and looks better in the morning then we know that the fungal treatment has helped. I hope so. Goodnight and thanks again. :)

ok have you tried using half dosage of promethyasul? its cures for any bacterial, fungal and parastic diseases. when you said fungus in gravel .. best to gravel vac every day to rid of fungus. or remove gravel for bare base look.

I have 4 pepps as well and are doing good.. they are in bare base tank... and use teh spray bar downward to blow away their poops to the intake pipes.. works well .

Hi electric yellow, we have considered taking out the gravel over the weekend. we have only used the pimafix (bay oil), which requires a second dose in 7 days but I will look into the promethyasul. The tank is clean we have not had anything growth in it since the gravel vac and water change on saturday. the last male is dead. Poor thing, his belly and chest are all bloated and whatever is on his skin is eating away at him, he has red raw spots all over him, just like the female that died yesterday. There is also fin damage. There is only one baby left now and for some reason he/she appears completely unaffected. I will be keeping a very close eye on it.