Yodapwnsasmurf

Heater or not?

Hey guyz, Im just planning on setting up a bath tub and an IBC outside, I was wondering if I will need a heater over summer or if i should just put them in the sun so they get warm during the day?

They are gonna have americans in them, festae and maybe peacock bass in the IBC, will algae be a big problem?

Thanks a lot guyz!

if ya want a stable temp.....yes heater. i wouldn't place in the sun as ibc's are not uv stable and the algae growth will turn the water pea soup. the variance in temp from hot sunny day to cool humid night will be enough for an explosion of whitespot. JMHO mate ;)

lol yeah I had to go google IBC. So what you use them as is or cut them open? For growing out fry?

Otherwise I reckon you should do a quick test on whether the tanks will get too hot in direct sunlight.

Maybe heaters in case of a cold snap. They shouldn't draw any/much power if the water never falls below their minimum setting

green water will lower the o2 saturation so most fish will be affected. some spp. may well benifit from the green water especially fry as its a food source. as for the heater.....not that big, a jager 300w will do an ibc and redlands usually has em under 50 bux HTH ;)

Your power bill will be quite high of running a heater in a tank outside. I don't think you want it in direct sunlight as there will be way to much change in the temp, causing white spot which was mentioned before. You could Try and keep out of the sunlight and insulate the hell out of it to help temp stay the same? I'm about to do that to my outside cherry tank.

Everything Tuffy and Holden said sounds spot on........ If you do have trouble getting 300w jagers for $50 let me know I'll hook you up.

Also if any sun hits them I'd bet money that there will be some days when water temp hits 30C or more (we're bound to have some mid 30 days again).... Not sure, but this could pose a problem.... When positioning the IBC make sure you compensate for the different sun paths between now and mid summer.....

Edited by Hennessy