shazvana

Advice on Sump pumps

I thought I would ask all you experienced sump owners what you think is a good brand.

We are in the process of having our new 8x3x2.5 tank built and the new 4ft sump and we need a pump that will turn the water approx 6 or 7 times per hr and we will need one that does a head/flow height of no less than 2m.

Of course we would also love to get one with as low wattage as possible to reduce power usage but that could be asking too much:(

We are looking at approx 10 000Lph as well.

We have been burnt before with buying a pump online and paying good money and then it not doing anything near the specs it said it did, so instead of having more pumps sitting here that are useless for our needs, I thought I would ask what brand etc you guys would suggest to get.

Thanks heaps for any help given:)

wen purchasing a pump, you'll have to take into account how head height reduces the flow rate.

a 10,000L/hr pump with a max head height of 3.0m...... will pump 10,000L @ 0 HH...... about 5,000L or less @ 2.0m HH.... & 0 L/hr @ 3.0m HH

on decent brand pumps there should be a graph or table on the side of the box showing you at what head height you can expect what amount of flow rate.

Got one from Kenster.

10000lph

HH is about 3.5m

Approx 80 watt

Looks similar to Laguna pond pump series

Goes like the clappers

Quiet too

$160... cheap too

got this pump also and agree 100%, great pump, great price, great results,

and as stated above i pulled mine apart to fit into sump,

Thanks so much guys, I will pm Kenster and get some prices.

I prefer to go with something tried and tested instead of getting caught out again.

Simmo, yep we are fully aware of all that and that is why we need to make sure it will be a good pump and fit our needs, thanks for letting me know though:)

We are in the process of having our new 8x3x2.5 tank built and the new 4ft sump and we need a pump that will turn the water approx 6 or 7 times per hr and we will need one that does a head/flow height of no less than 2m.

Just a thought, is your sump going to be big enough. The only reason is that if your sump is 4X2X1.5 it will be about 360 liters max so the flow through based on roughly 7000 lph it is going to be turned over about 20 times an hour. Will you get the benefit of your sumps media? Don't know the answer, just a question.

At this stage the sump will be 4ft long but we do think we will need to go bigger to a 5ft. Hubby is the one who has designed the stand and tank and is now onto the sump design.

Is all I know is, this is our one chance to get this right cause once this tank etc is done, it's done and it will need to stay that way for a very very long time.

This tank is for our largest turtle who will be spend many many years in it yet (maybe next 15 to 20) and the higher the turn over of water the better when it comes to turtles because they are much dirtier than fish but the sumps designs and media are the same as fish, it's just we have to turn it over many more times than a fish tank. That's why we are going big.

Are you going to put a weir in the 8ft and have the water going in, going into the weir. Might stop a bit of current as you do not want the poor old turtle plastered against the glass or getting overtired from swimming into a current? You may not put anything in the weir but it might be better dispersal for the water? Just a thought.

well its simple to work out 244 x 90 x 76 / 1000 =1668.9 now divide 1668.9 by 30 (for the height) and you get roughly 56 liters per inch off water say your overflows are 2 inch youll need a sump that can handle the excess 112 liters on top of the amount already in the sump.

Using the following input parameters

Tank Length = 96 inches

Tank Width = 36 inches

Height of Water above Overflow = 2 inches

Flow through sump = 2600 gph

Sump volume is calculated as

Sump Volume need to handle tank overflow = 29.9 Gallons

Recommended Minimum Volume for sump = 55.9 Gallons (211 Litres)

keep in mind thats a absolute bare bare minimum (doesnt allow for weekly evaporation)

honestly a sump that holds between 300 and 400L should be sufficient.

Using the following input parameters

Tank Length = 96 inches

Tank Width = 36 inches

Height of Water above Overflow = 2 inches

Flow through sump = 2600 gph

Sump volume is calculated as

Sump Volume need to handle tank overflow = 29.9 Gallons

Recommended Minimum Volume for sump = 55.9 Gallons (211 Litres)

keep in mind thats a absolute bare bare minimum (doesnt allow for weekly evaporation)

honestly a sump that holds between 300 and 400L should be sufficient.

ummmmm ...

Just a thought, is your sump going to be big enough. The only reason is that if your sump is 4X2X1.5 it will be about 360 liters max so the flow through based on roughly 7000 lph it is going to be turned over about 20 times an hour. Will you get the benefit of your sumps media? Don't know the answer, just a question.

Thanks for all your replies guys, it's been very helpful:) I have contacted Ken and we LOVE his prices and pumps and will grab one from him hubby said.

Yer we will be using an overflow box, water hgt above will be approx 1cm with full syphon and back up overflow, as I mentioned we are keeping our large turtle in this tank and mechanical filtration is the key, this will be backed up with bioballs and matrix for bio filtration. This is how we have our 6ft tank with sump running and the water is beautiful and it works a treat:)

It's also really easy to maintain as well and that's one very important factor.

As for the current issue, hubby says there will be 4 outlets dispersed into the tank and all should be ok.

Good luck with it all. It can be a daunting task but at the end I am sure it will provide years of enjoyment and a happy happy turtle..

I remember a saying..

Due to the GFC the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

Doesn't really apply but I like it. Might have seen it here just remember having a chuckle over it.

Good luck with it all. It can be a daunting task but at the end I am sure it will provide years of enjoyment and a happy happy turtle..

I remember a saying..

Due to the GFC the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

Doesn't really apply but I like it. Might have seen it here just remember having a chuckle over it.

:) I love that little ditto, it's sooooo true.

Our light was turned off for a long time with getting this tank but the light has been turned back on but it's not as bright as it should be but at least it's on:)

We are hoping to have a very happy turtle and once he's happy in his new 8ft, we will start working on his current 6ft and jazzing that up a bit so it's ready for the smaller turtles who will end up living in the 6ft eventually.

Thank goodness the Cichlid and shrimp tanks are all in good nick and have no drama's!!

I really do appreciate all the advice given here in this thread, it has helped us a lot and that's why I love this place so much, everybody is willing to share their knowledge and this means we all have healthy tanks no matter what lives in the tank:)

Ok, went round to Ken's place tonight and picked up a new pump and OMG!!! I have to say, what a lovely lovely guy!!!!

The pumps he sells are so good, I totally concur with everyone else, his pumps are well worth it and his prices are awesome, so if you need a new pump, contact Ken for sure.

Plus he is so helpful and happy to answer any questions and help the best he can....an all round great guy.

The pump we thought we wanted, we all worked out would be too big, so we went with the 10000lph one and we are sure it will be perfect for our needs.

Thanks Ken for everything, it was a pleasure to meet you and no doubt we will see you again.

Hi Lee,

It was nice to meet you & your husband as well. Drop me a PM if I could lend you a hand on anything.

Or as I said drop a question on the forum, there are many more knowledgable people on the forum & mostly are fairly helpful bunch here.

Sorry about the noisey kids ...... plus I talk too much sometime.

Regards,

Ken

:) The kids were fine Ken, don't stress it mate......our daughter is still taking about how cute they are, she loves younger kids and is all she wants to do is be mum herself (many many many many years away yet though!!!)

As for your talking, that was fine too, your knowledge is great and the only way to share it is to talk, so we were happy to listen.

A mate of our checked out your pump yesterday and he said it is great and I have told him to contact you when he needs any new pumps.

Thanks again.....we will let you know how it all comes together.