slr5000

green water ??

hi every one i did a water change last week because my water was going a brown color and did about 75% water change cus i changed my tank around and my water has gone green why ??? all i did was take some drift wood out and put some new stuff in and cleand my filter out....my tank size is 1200 long by 350 wide by 450 high and its right in front of my bedroom window oh and ive added some small plants and fish that r in the tank r 2 pairs of albion longfin b/nose 1 pair of l002s and a pair of ghost mollies and guppies lots and lots of them :/ .... any help and advice would be grate thanks

just move your tank away from the window.....and away from any direct sunlight. 75% is too much to remove your water out ...why did you do that?

you only remove 25% weekly water changes, Also I hope you cleaned your filter with your used water that was taken out of the tank rather than from the tap. cheers

yep make sure filters are being cleaned in water taken from the aquarium they are running on. Also ensure you either add dechlorinator to the tank before starting to refill OR you add it to the bucket, and then add bucket of water to tank.

Sounds like theres some left over ammonia in the water, which is fueling an algae bloom.

This is normally caused by your biological filtration being over cleaned/killed

haha....i think some of the java moss i got from some one (i knew i shouldnt have put it in their) i put in their had some algae in it and thats what made it go green as well...is their anything i can put in their to make it clear up ?? ive been doing water changes all week and still vrey green :(

If you Blackout the tank for 2-3 days the algae should die.Your plants should survive this.Then you want to be able to regulate the amount of light the tank gets.Id start with 8hrs a day.Its all about balance once you get the right balance light,nutrients and bio load you shouldnt have a problem with algae.

Cheers Leigh