netty_3164

Different species of cardinal tetras?

Hey all,

Just bought some cardinals for the tank a few days ago and upon observation, it seems I may have bought two species of cardinal tetras? Some of them have clear fins whilst some exhibit a white line on the dorsal and anal fin which was quite weird.

Some pictures:

What I would call a 'normal' cardinal

P11104271280x768.jpg

The 'weird' cardinals with white line on dorsal and anal.

P11104281280x768.jpg

P11104651280x768.jpg

With flash (note: red colour is full, the flash has distorted the colour)

P11104361280x768.jpg

Has anyone noticed anything similar with their cardinals?

Or are these tetras not cardinals?

Cheers,

John

Edited by netty_3164

Hey little_goby, all the cardinals actually have the same red/blue colouration however some have the whites lines, whilst some don't. The colouration of the fish have been distorted by the camera's flash.

Have you seen any cardinals with this white line at your shop?

Hey little_goby, all the cardinals actually have the same red/blue colouration however some have the whites lines, whilst some don't. The colouration of the fish have been distorted by the camera's flash.

Have you seen any cardinals with this white line at your shop?

I was taking a closer look at them today, to see if I had a couple this way. I couldn't find any. Truth be told though, with neons and cards so susceptible to disease I only buy off one wholesaler - and that wholesaler only. So they may only buy from one breeder only... and this may make our variety a little on the "exclusive" side. My interest has been peaked now and I will look closer at the cards at other shops. From what I am aware there, there aren't any other species out there with that colouration It would be very interesting to see if we have a subspecies or new locality on our hands. How exciting!

Hmm, this seems interesting.

I posted the exact post on AL and a member who I believe breeds fish for bayfish has said he has cardinal stocks that also exhibit these white lineson their fins.

@ The Tech Dan, sorry to hear about your losses. At least you still have the stunning cardinals remaining. ;)

@ little_goby, I have done a bit of research and there are reports that there are various subspecies found in different regions. First I did a basic google search and the results have shown some exhibit the white lines on their fins. Also, I found this site where it has a nice comparison between two subspecies of cardinals (link below) If you look at the first picture, you can see that the 'Columbian form' has these white lines whilst the Brazillian one does not. It is interesting though as my cardinals have the white lines however their neon line extends to the end of the adipose fin so it could be a mix between two or another subspecies.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/profiles/cardinal-tetra/#fullPicture188

Edited by netty_3164

Hmm, this seems interesting.

I posted the exact post on AL and a member who I believe breeds fish for bayfish has said he has cardinal stocks that also exhibit these white lineson their fins.

@ The Tech Dan, sorry to hear about your losses. At least you have the stunning cardinals. ;)

@ little_goby, I have done a bit of research and there are reports that there are various subspecies found in different regions. First I did a basic google search and the results have shown some exhibit the white lines on their fins. Also, I found this site where it has a nice comparison between two subspecies of cardinals (link below) If you look at the first picture, you can see that the 'Columbian form' has these white lines whilst the Brazillian one does not. It is interesting though as my cardinals have the white lines however their neon line extends to the end of the adipose fin so it could be a mix between two or another subspecies.

Cardinal Tetra (Paracheirodon axelrodi) Profile

I found that myself, wouldn't have thought about a subspecies of cardinal in general, my first thought would have been aberrant mutation to a limited genepool in commercial breeding - but then I thought nah, i'd think you'd see that in neon's first as cardinals are so new to large scale commercial breeding. Although with the "golden" variety who knows what will come...

I may have to ask suppliers about the golds. And my cards come AI so that would be why I haven't seen it. Thats pretty cool.