cogs

help with plumbing uv

i'm going to upgrade my filter on my pond and need a new uv on it is only a 9w and i would like a 18w can i just add another bulkhead and gravity feed the uv and if so what size bulkhead do i need

My understanding is I needs to be after your filter. So something like outlet of the pond into filter then into the uv then back to the pond. You want to make sure there are no rocks or solids going into the uvfilter that's why after the filter is the best option.

is your pond sumped? where would the gravity feed goto otherwise?

but yes you could do that, but can't you just add it inline with something already plumbed to the tank?

bulkhead size would depend on the inlet size of the UV. But generally they're about 10-20mm... one thing to consider though, the slower the water goes through the UV the more effective it will be so i'd use the smallest bulkhead possible.

no it is not sumped yet it has just has a aqua pro pond filter with a 9w inbuilt it's just the 9w doesn't keep up in summer and i have to cover it and i don't want to this year and plus the fish are getting way to big for that small of a filter, and i've heard that the uvs have to have a flow rate or else the burn out

oh yep... i'd keep running the 9w as well as the 18... the more the better.

Yeah they need to have water in them at all times, so you need to find the fine line between a slow and steady water flow and not running any part of the UV dry.

So dditt as an example say you have a 50w UV steriliser and you put it at the end of the sump going to the tank with a 10000 L/hr pump for a 1500L tank would that be sufficient. The reason I ask is that the flow through the UV would be fast but the UV would be extremely powerful.

yeah i'm making a 400l tub into a teir like sump, my pond is a 5000l water tank with a rtc and a gator gar with permit of corse both close a metre and convicts

oh ok good stuff, yeah I've seen pics of your setup and fish before mate, love your RTC, makes mine look like a baby.

BJC:

Yeah i don't see that being a problem, it would more than likely work really well...

But there's no real hard and fast rule with UV, each unit has its own recommendations for flow rates etc so your best bet is to find what is ideal for your specific UV steri.

p.s. 50watts is massive, is that what you're considering for your 8ft? lol

(i run two 9watts on my 8x4x2 and they're sufficient)

Edited by dditt