tuffy_rana

another store closing maryannes browns plains

some of you may be aware allready i'm guessing but maryanne's aquarium browns plains is closing at the end of november. to the best of my knowledge all of the store stock tanks have been sold (i got a few) but i'm lead to believe dennison will be doing some "specials" on remaining stock till closing. maybe able to pick up a few bits n bobs at a decent price ? he's a great mate and it's sad to see but it's a strange and uncertain economic climate and some adaption is required. he will still be making tanks at a great price but wont be trading as a fuctioning aquarium store unfortunately :(

Oh really:( Sorry to hear this news, dennison is such a nice guy! He has been more generous to me than any other store, gave me all kinds of things to help me when we moved house, even offered to lend me his drill bits for free to drill hole for bulkheads. Sad news:(

well thats just life a 20 million $$$ company went bust a week ago ..it just means more work for me ...another one will benifit from there bust life gose on and on and on

yup, some billion dollar companies bite it 2. golman sachs for instance witha 200 billion dollar problem but luckily the had uncle sam to bail em out i guess. matters not the size of the business i guess.....sad is sad. maybe some forumers can get a deal outta another closure is all ;)

Shits me when companies go bust, like my old bosses

Roofing company went down 6 months ago only because a few builders went bankrupt and didn't pay there final bills for competed jobs.

He had to file for bankruptcy, owed too much money to his material suppliers to the point they wouldn't supply any more material, which meant no more jobs could be done... He lost the lot, all his investment properties, cars his own home etc etc, and the knock on effect just goes down the line, there was 30 odd thousand owed to the sheetmetal mob that made all the flashings etc, they are just a small family owned business and that would have hit them hard aswell.

I was paid on a weekly basis so wasn't effected. But so many people get affected when someone goes bankrupt, it's easy to say life goes on, which it does, but just hope it doesn't happen to yourself in the future.

On a brighter note, I'm now working for another company, getting much better contract rates and the growth for this company is looking great. During the past 6-8 months theres been at least 6 or 7 roofing mobs close down, so I a good way it means we get more clients... Interest rates look like they might be dropping soon, so those that can hang on and ride out this rough patch and not pack up and bolt to the mines, will eventually be the winners.

Edited by ash

dennison will still be trading as such. the store front will close as its known and the business will still be run in regards to tank manufacture so thats good ;) there is even some talk of a new "fish room" of sorts at a new local.....stay tuned. yeah its sad that alot are closing and whilst its true that alot of stuff can be bought online cheaper sometimes......its kinda hard to "window shop" as such.

i enjoy very much the friendships i have made with store owners and employee's.......they are of course the reason most of us are in the hobby :)

You guys are so funny, you say it's the way things go, look at the limited range if fish on the forum, it is a small subset of what is kept in aquariums that is ever bred and sold on this forum. This will be lost if we are not careful. Most fish are not viable or economical for the local breeders to bred and grow.

You guys are so funny, you say it's the way things go, look at the limited range if fish on the forum, it is a small subset of what is kept in aquariums that is ever bred and sold on this forum. This will be lost if we are not careful. Most fish are not viable or economical for the local breeders to bred and grow.

in total agreement actually. alot of spp. are still fully imported because they either cant be bred in captivity or the limited people with knowledge cant keep up with demand and economical viability plays its part aswell i guess. i guess the big chain stores can allways supply these but. i just dont like the limited knowledge on hand from the minimum wage workers at alot of em :lol:

in total agreement actually. alot of spp. are still fully imported because they either cant be bred in captivity or the limited people with knowledge cant keep up with demand and economical viability plays its part aswell i guess. i guess the big chain stores can allways supply these but. i just dont like the limited knowledge on hand from the minimum wage workers at alot of em :lol:

The chain stores will never carry the specialties. Black Moors, comets and neon tetras is what you will get. They only want to employ kids and don't want to pay to train em. When old school peeps retire do you think places like CF's and PB's will replace them with other "gurus"? No way! Thats the way the economy works. The more people decide to spend their buck overseas and online just to save a dime, the more places like MaryAnnes, Wet Petz, St. George etc will have no choice but to close their doors. Unfortunately being an "institution" isn't enough these days. :( Forums are great, but limited as mentioned. With AQUIS you can't mail-order anything in, so what to do?

Its a fine game. Personally, (and has nothing to do with me in my current position) I am one of those "local" fanatics. I try to buy, shop and eat Australian. I drive my man crazy by asking questions and reading all labels. I try not to get any food sourced from further than 100kms away and of course I try to make it free range and organic. (My mum was an organic rancher and I know what she went through so I try to support it). With other things I try to do local before I go online and I also weigh out if the convenience and the service is worth a higher price. I'll pay more for trouble free service and ease of buying.

That said, its harder to please the customer these days too. I watch things like Today Tonight where they teach people to rant and rave and scream to get things free and I have to turn off the TV. Don't get me wrong we all have bad days, but sometimes I think people want to come in with a chip on their shoulder even though a staff member is just trying to help. They don't want to listen, expect expert advice, the lowest price in town, full aftermarket service and full replacement when they voided their warranty. Then they want something else for free after all the "trouble" they went through. Lol, all I want is a customer to smile at me.

/rantsoapbox Its no St.George wanted a holiday!

It can be difficult to make customers happy, and it seems the more you help, the more they expect.

Personally I dont mind usually. I come from a small town and in my humble beginings with lfs work, I knew every customer by name. These days I struggle to remember what 100 regulars have in their tanks. But in my spare time I do try to think over potential solutions to problems they are having, or suitable compatable possible livestock additions, or even tips for them to get things breeding. Its nice to help people succeed, to share in their glory.

I like to be driven to offer the best service possible, as do most people in lfs. You never have a day when you dont learn something.

But at the same time, people do expect an aweful lot. Its a rare week when I dont spend half an hour fixing some piece of equipment that a 'customer' has bought online. Realisticly if you would like after sales service, then buy from a lfs. Because if you buy from ebay, and expect me to troubleshoot equipment in peak hour, and then get upset with me when I choose to serve customers actually supporting the store....... you dont get a gold star beside your name.

I dunno,....

the old salts in the game

we love to help out people in the hobby

you see us on forums

in groups and clubs

at auctions or on field trips....

but end of the day

it can be hard to earn a crust actually working in a lfs.

Its hardly any wonder people are bailing to work in the mines.

That said, its harder to please the customer these days too. I watch things like Today Tonight where they teach people to rant and rave and scream to get things free and I have to turn off the TV. Don't get me wrong we all have bad days, but sometimes I think people want to come in with a chip on their shoulder even though a staff member is just trying to help. They don't want to listen, expect expert advice, the lowest price in town, full aftermarket service and full replacement when they voided their warranty. Then they want something else for free after all the "trouble" they went through. Lol, all I want is a customer to smile at me.

absolutely correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the media is one of the best tools and worst tools ever created and unfortunately the magority of customers are fantastic, but yes, that few % makes it lovely for the rest of us all! as a Customer i always put the shoe on the other foot and think of myself in that situation, and use my life skills to assist the person serving, but far too many know it alls and idiots make up this world (net) and just abuse people cause they think its their god given right, i actually assisted a well known shop owner about 8 months ago with a customer who was abusing the crap outta (him\her) about a fish they were sold, and of course it was the shops fault cause they sold it to him etc etc, it died, killed other fish before it died etc etc etc, i was listening to this convo only cause it was happening right behind me, and then was asked by the owner to assist (as this was one of the fish i bred for many years) so being the shy retiring type i jumped in and started chatting to the customer, and low and behold, he was told by mates and other peoples n the net good old google that he could do this n thats n bla bla bla, n guess wat after chatting with the bloke and taking him round the tanks for abit, he got some other fish some good advice and basically shut the fk up, when he realised his errors, we all learn at diff rates and has diff skills, everyone has something to offer if only we would take the time to look, everyone is in a rush, i aint, i dun care i love customer service, and i love the challenge of a good old fashioned debate :)

lets be kind to each other :) mwa love u all

and i will keep smiling, even for those little special people :)

if someone came into my work ranting and raving like an idiot and not wanting to listen then they are going to get the same treatment back, will even give them a personal tour all the way back out the door they came through, there isnt any of this customer is always right bs, 9/10 are wrong and the last 1 is prob only half right anyway,

if someone came into my work ranting and raving like an idiot and not wanting to listen then they are going to get the same treatment back, will even give them a personal tour all the way back out the door they came through, there isnt any of this customer is always right bs, 9/10 are wrong and the last 1 is prob only half right anyway,

do you work for QANTAS ? .........jk.....kinda.......its just that customer service cant work that way as much as we would all like it to. if it did it wouldnt exist as you would have no custom. cant always take the "bouncer" form of mentality into the workplace........unless of course you.....bounce for a livin, then of course the customer is never right :lol:

DFF that is why you are an asset to PC. while I dont get in there much your the one Im hunting for when I need someone to help me. Your service is exceptional, and you deserve a pay rise... hint hint little-goby. He has a growing family to support.. lmao

Bender with that attitude I see you dont like your customers and your business wont last long. If you dont own that business then your job will be very temporary. If you are speaking hyperthetically then you have alot to learn about customer service and what it takes to keep a business running. You have never heard of the rules of 3 and 10..... If one person has a good experience they will tell 3 others.... if they have a bad experience then they will tell 10..... and Chinese whispers take over then and before long your business is ruined because you opened your mouth and said the customer was wrong..... As every individual commercial business is now under threat from the large corporate conglomerates it is imperative that you maintain healthy relationships with the customer and in turn they will recommend you to friends and family which in-turn means that your customer base grows by word of mouth which can be more powerful than any other form of advertising... You only have to read the appreciation threads on said businesses contained within this forum.

back on the other topic.... How about a basic membership.... say free to view the forum...... but if you want to post on here its $10 a year..... if you are to stingy to pay that then you are only out to line your own pockets and are just a greedy f*ck... who wants to deal with people like that... I would be happy to pay $10 a qtr for this forum.... yeah suure there are plenty of free ones but this is the BEST local forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wanna cry... go do it on another forum where they dont care......

Edited by brockssracer

DFF that is why you are an asset to PC. while I dont get in there much your the one Im hunting for when I need someone to help me. Your service is exceptional, and you deserve a pay rise... hint hint little-goby. He has a growing family to support.. lmao

Bender with that attitude I see you dont like your customers and your business wont last long. If you dont own that business then your job will be very temporary. If you are speaking hyperthetically then you have alot to learn about customer service and what it takes to keep a business running. You have never heard of the rules of 3 and 10..... If one person has a good experience they will tell 3 others.... if they have a bad experience then they will tell 10..... and Chinese whispers take over then and before long your business is ruined because you opened your mouth and said the customer was wrong..... As every individual commercial business is now under threat from the large corporate conglomerates it is imperative that you maintain healthy relationships with the customer and in turn they will recommend you to friends and family which in-turn means that your customer base grows by word of mouth which can be more powerful than any other form of advertising... You only have to read the appreciation threads on said businesses contained within this forum.

back to the topic.... How about a basic membership.... say free to view the forum...... but if you want to post on here its $10 a year..... if you are to stingy to pay that then you are only out to line your own pockets and are just a greedy f*ck... who wants to deal with people like that... I would be happy to pay $10 a qtr for this forum.... yeah suure there are plenty of free ones but this is the BEST local forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but.....we dont care here....do we? jk.....you make some valid points......

manufacturing, mainly do wholesale so we dont have to deal with the people, we just send them to our main customers that have shop fronts and let them deal with it, some of them dont like that cos they think they can get it cheaper from us but it dont work like that

if thy want to yell and cause hassles for no reason when they are clearly wrong then why should anyone have to stand there and cop it, therefor they get shown the door

manufacturing, mainly do wholesale so we dont have to deal with the people, we just send them to our main customers that have shop fronts and let them deal with it, some of them dont like that cos they think they can get it cheaper from us but it dont work like that

if thy want to yell and cause hassles for no reason when they are clearly wrong then why should anyone have to stand there and cop it, therefor they get shown the door

wada ya facture ? just outta curiousity ?

back on the other topic.... How about a basic membership.... say free to view the forum...... but if you want to post on here its $10 a year..... if you are to stingy to pay that then you are only out to line your own pockets and are just a greedy f*ck... who wants to deal with people like that... I would be happy to pay $10 a qtr for this forum.... yeah suure there are plenty of free ones but this is the BEST local forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

didnt say that i told them to leave,

not my business and im pretty sure after 30 odd years we aint going anywhere, seen the big guys go down cos they get greedy which just increases our work,

and by not dealing with the public as much as possible we avoid people

Edited by -bender-