scott95

blue dragon female betta and her cube

i know, she is a great fish that deserves a great home!

soon i hope he man will be all healed up after he bit all his fins XD

so i can breed them, but i dont think he will pull through, so im going to cross her back to a plakat (shortfin)

And Still_Shorty, im finding it hard not to keep them in the cups... when i do eventually breed her finding the tank space for all those angry bettas will not be easy!

all females are going into a 160L when they reach 3cm, and all males will go into plastic containers, or small glass jars (which arnt cheap)

but most likley i know its not much room but i will get some chinese takeaway containers for the males, and do 100% water change each day which should help, then i will sell them to you guys, and to

my most loved members, for free as my gratitude! and i will also run some competition fundraisers for this forum to help out grum!

keep tuned guys and gals, should have some very soon, expect to hear more in the next month or so!

but at a small stage with the males i will practically give them away to members who are willing to rear themselves, and then they can keep them as a treat!

Nice female, I have a similar one but without the patch on her back missing the dragon scales scales.IS she from Jodi-Lea?

A plastic cup would not be an acceptable housing if you are raisning them, they are far to small even with 100% daily water changes. What many breeders use is plastic 2 litre soft drink bottles with the top removed with 100% waterchanges every two days. If you have to resort to plastic cups you really shouldn't be breeding them. You will also need to cull them if you have a large spawn, 20-30 is always a good number.

Yes she was purchased as a pair from Jodi-Lea a few months back, you never know they might be related!!! And I never though of the soft drink bottles, seeing as though my brother is a living drain I will hook him up with some cheap soft drink and off goes

ohh right, the thing is im not really into the long fins, i like to keep my bettas in biggertanks that have HOB filters.

i am unable to do this with longfins and generally find the plakats to be a more active fish!

why would they all be PK? surely the genes from father and mother would come across?

or is it because the plakat gene isnt as strong or what???

i do have a boy for her, which is a DT too, but he isnt looking great, the bugger bit his fins, which im not happy about

thats another reason i prefer the plakats. But i do like the patterning of the mustard gas, especially on the plakats!

Its different in bettas regarding the long fin genes. Long fin is dominant in bettas while short fin is recesive. Dominant genes only need one allele, or copy of the gene, to show up. A recessive gene needs two of teh same alleles to show up. So A dominant trait will always coverup a recessive trait.

Dt is recessive to the normal take type being it only has one lobe so if you were to cross a long fin DT with a PK you would get 100% long fin ST (single tail) F1 would be 25% DT, 75% ST, 25% PK and 75% long fin.

Edited by mthom211