rosequoll

Biotope for Desert Goby - Chlamydogobius eremius

So...I have a grand plan to set up a biotope tank for a group of these guys. Basic plan at the moment is a custom built 3x18x18 with a decent sized group but I need to do all the basic legwork first. I have a few questions that hopefully SOMEONE can help me with. Next plan will be to contact ANGFA members directly to see if any have first hand experience.

Disclaimer first, I've contacted South Australia DERN as well as a few herbariums and people I've found online who have done surveys in the Coward Springs SA area. I'm waiting on emails back but I'm impatient and would love any first hand experience.

1. I know the gobies are found in the Coward springs area. Is this in the actual springs or in surrounding areas?

2. Plants found in the Coward Springs area. Are these plants found IN the springs or only on the edges of the areas of water. Are there dense plants, or mostly open areas with sparse plants?

3. Substrate. Sand? rocky mix? red/white/grey/PURPLE?? I basically want to know what the areas look like. Detailed if possible. =)

4. If the gobies are found in direct spring areas, does the water bubble up through the ground? Has it all just flowed from elsewhere? Come up through cracks in the rocks?

Thanks to anyone that can help!

That sounds very ambitious, I,ll find out what is recorded on the angfa data base and see if there are any past issues of in stream or fishes of sahul on this spruces or biotypes. Directly contacting an angfa member and getting a feral would be a good way to go also. Also speak with Dave at aqua green a he may know of plants from that area.

Thanks Dave! I was able to find this, but don't have the money to order the back issue myself at the moment:

Volume 20(4) 2006 (October-December): Kuiter, R. 2006. Coward Springs country. Fishes of Sahul 20(4): 272-276.

Already emailed Dave, he had a few suggestions and then a few ideas on who I could contact for more direct information. He's collected at a different area with another species of Chlamydogobius so he can't be exactly sure on the C eremius area for me.

I know there are some goby photos in the photo database which are listed as 'Coward Springs' but I'm not sure if the photos were taken in collection tanks or well after collection in a home aquarium. No plants I could see in the low res photos I can view at the moment.

And yes, next plan is to get to the next ANGFA meeting or see if I can contact Steve Baines and see if he can point me at someone who can help. And ambitious is the plan! I'm excited. =)