brwndoggy25

question about drilling glass

hey all,

im going to have my first attempt at drilling my own holes and just wanted to know a few things:

1. Do you need a drill bit bigger than the size hole you want?

2. How long does 1 drill bit tend to last?

3. How much difference in performance from one size to the next?

4. When putting in plumbing do you need to silcone them in or are they water tight?

any feedback is appreciated.

cheers

Gavin

Yes go for a bit 10mm bigger than the bulkhead your installing, 25mm bulkhead use 35mm bit, Ive drilled 12 or so holes with the cheap ebay ones cant complain for the cost, you dont have to silicon around the bulkhead it will be sealed with the 2 rubber washers that come with it.

As above,plus one 40mm bulkhead will equate to three 25mm bulkheads.

Bunnings sell both drill bits for 25mm and 40mm bulkheads. Find them in the tile area.

Just clean the area around the drill hole carefully(inside and outside) so that rubber flanges will sit flush on both sides of glass.:)

Easy to do. Make sure the bit your drilling is laying down and take it slow and have a hose dribbling on the cut for cooling. I sillicon the bulkheads in cause if they leak it's fun times taking it all apart. Drill a hole in a this piece of wood first and use that to hold the bit while your start the hole. Try and hold the bit perfectly level otherwise your hole will move :P. Pretty easy just go real steady towards the end as that's when it'll chip.

Do you want to skim or pick gunk from the bottom?

If surface skimming, then side or back doesn't matter.

If picking up bottom gunk, then use a T piece attached to outside of bulkhead instead of elbow piece.

T piece sits vertically so have one opening connected to sump plumbing.

The other opening can be left as is or can attach a bit of plumbing so that the highest point sits about 2 or 3 inches above tank.

This upper opening breaks syphon if power goes out:)

A bit confusing I guess, but you are more than welcome to drop by my house an have a looking at it set up and running:)

Hi Gavin,

1. Do you need a drill bit bigger than the size hole you want?

you need to drill the hole bigger than the bulk head cos it has to go thru the glass. If you have a bulkead then the hole a with a width of say 5mm on both sides will not bother vos the flange will cover it nicely. I use 40mm PVC pipe with a flange so I drill a hole that is only 1-2mm bigger than the OD (outside diamter) of the pipe. It works very nicely and is a fraction of the cost of the bulk head.

2. How long does 1 drill bit tend to last?

According to Moh's scale of hardness, Diamonds are rated level 10 being the highest. whereas glass is rated at 6. I have drilled more than 100 holes with one drill bit so far. It has worn a bit but is still working

3. How much difference in performance from one size to the next?

You can work it out by considering that the surface area of a circle is Pi x R squared. So if you have a bulkhead with internal diameter of a pipe of say 20mm, then R is 10mm. You actual surface area (SA) is 3.14x10c10= 314mm2, if you have bulkhead with internal diameter of a pipe of say 40mm, then R is 20mm. then your actual SA is: 3.14x20x20=1256mm2.

By doubling the size of the pipe, you have increased the SA by 4 times (1256/314=4).

That's why I always recommend people to go for the bigger bulkhead or pipe cos you can always put a tap on the incoming water and slow it down but you can't make it leave the tank faster.

4. When putting in plumbing do you need to silcone them in or are they water tight?

It depends on the fitting. Most household DWV (Drain Waste Vent) fittings are tapered and you can get away without glueing it. And Yes you can use plumbing glue, We use it in our drinking water. If you want to remove the parts in the future, yes run a bit of silicone in the fittings before inserting them and let it go off before u run water thru it.

I hope this the helps.

cheers

dan

Hey gazza,

I drill all my lids with 19mm holes, I have a secret when doing it. I haven't forgotten about drilling some holes for you but have not made any plans to travel your way yet. I might just bite the bullet and go one day just to get those holes drilled.