Rastinger62

Electric Yellow Breeding

I have a small colony of electric yellows. I was wondering what is the best way to breed these beautiful fish. The missus loves them and the electric blues also. We are getting a 2 pairs of blue peacocks or 1 male and 3 females for breeding.

my questions

1 > Will the electric yellows be fine to breed with peacocks in the tank?

2 > Can electric yellows and blues breed in the same tank?

3 > What is the best way you think to breed the yellows?

I'm new at this but have the passion to make it a hobby I intend to do for years to come.

If anyone can help that would be great.

Thanks in advance :)

If you are serious about breeding ANY fish you dont want to mix species. Im not sure if yellows will interbreed but best to have each fish in their own species tank. Think of the tank as a 100 dollar investment which you will recoup with your first batch of fry. Also when one species breeds it is very common for other fish to eat the eggs or interrupt a spawn.

I personally breed yellows in a 4 foot tank that is slighty wider then normal i think the tank is 4x2x1.5 approximately. I purchased volcanic rock as they create excellent cave systems which are easy to pull apart and then put back together and you can build them up into a fort sort of thing for the fish. Anyway when breeding always do water changes with fresh water your best bet is to capture rain water and add that within 2 hrs of being collected. Improve the diet for 3 or 4 days of frozen brine shrimp (my selection) then wait and see. Its up to you if you want to let the females hold the batch for the entire brooding period or strip at 6-10 days. I like 8 days as the eggs have developed into fish with egg sacs which i just place in a strainer with an air bubbler to move the water and within a week or so close to 100% survival rates.

Key notes, When yuou want fish to breed every bit of attention you put in gives great results, i feed my yellows 3-5 times a day when i want them to breed.

Always check the fins of the females, if they are stressed of being voer chased = no breeding

Remember that when she is holding she isnt eating so consider the best way to either pace her in her own tank when she has a batch or strip the eggs and then place her into her own tank for a bit before placing her back in the collony.

I like to place all the hides together making the fish mix more. Well in my mind, i have tried it many ways but i have found the best results is a stacked up mountain sort of build for cichlids.

All the very best , Clipper

P.s I got 35 yellows tonight from a female after letting her hold them for 8 days. =D

If you are serious about breeding ANY fish you dont want to mix species. Im not sure if yellows will interbreed but best to have each fish in their own species tank. Think of the tank as a 100 dollar investment which you will recoup with your first batch of fry. Also when one species breeds it is very common for other fish to eat the eggs or interrupt a spawn.

I personally breed yellows in a 4 foot tank that is slighty wider then normal i think the tank is 4x2x1.5 approximately. I purchased volcanic rock as they create excellent cave systems which are easy to pull apart and then put back together and you can build them up into a fort sort of thing for the fish. Anyway when breeding always do water changes with fresh water your best bet is to capture rain water and add that within 2 hrs of being collected. Improve the diet for 3 or 4 days of frozen brine shrimp (my selection) then wait and see. Its up to you if you want to let the females hold the batch for the entire brooding period or strip at 6-10 days. I like 8 days as the eggs have developed into fish with egg sacs which i just place in a strainer with an air bubbler to move the water and within a week or so close to 100% survival rates.

Key notes, When yuou want fish to breed every bit of attention you put in gives great results, i feed my yellows 3-5 times a day when i want them to breed.

Always check the fins of the females, if they are stressed of being voer chased = no breeding

Remember that when she is holding she isnt eating so consider the best way to either pace her in her own tank when she has a batch or strip the eggs and then place her into her own tank for a bit before placing her back in the collony.

I like to place all the hides together making the fish mix more. Well in my mind, i have tried it many ways but i have found the best results is a stacked up mountain sort of build for cichlids.

All the very best , Clipper

P.s I got 35 yellows tonight from a female after letting her hold them for 8 days. =D

as above,

in short, if you keep different africans together, they will cross breed and be worth very little, apart from being feeders,

best to keep them separate

As the above mentioned, try your best to separate them but if tank is your problem then get rid of the blue peacock because the electric blue male will definately breed with your female blue peacock or in revearse. You may get away with electric yellow and electric blue together but that's not 100% they won't cross breed but more likely not. Good luck

Cheers, Ryan

Thank you to all with ALL your help. The info is great and I decided to give the electric yellows and blue peacocks their own tank in case of any cross breeding. Thanks to all you, I now can feel a lot more comfortable trying to breed these types of fish. The steps you guys provided is easy to understand and a total beginner like myself can feel confident using this information provided.

Thanks very much :)