I think my discus has HLLE dont know how it has caught this,it has 5 red marks between its eyes I have put in qtank doing daily water changes ,it is not eating,is this contagious to my other discus,have had them for 3 years with no problems at all,the only thing that has changed is added some new plants could these have anything to do with it.Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Nope. The true cause of HTH is hotly debated with no firm conclusion, the reason being that even with fish of the same species, one may have it whilst others don't. The main consensus is water quality and/or the use of carbon. As this isn't so in my case, I don't know why my snook has it, and the other fish such as oscar and geo, considered to be more susceptible, haven't?

Snook has had it now for 20 weeks, and hasn't eaten for 16. He's still in the same tank and the other fish are OK.

Good luck. It's generally considered untreatable, although it sometimes "halts" in advance.

hi bidkev you can treat hole in head with condi crystal but there is a secret best to use clove oil first only 4-6 drops 10 liter bucket when fish is up sidedown u push the condi crystal directly into the wound but you cannot get it into the eyes of the fish as they will go blind return to a bucket of fresh airated water when fish is swimming around put back into tank, works usually first time if not repeat process will get fungus over the hole when the fungus falls of in a few days the crater will have new skin underneath hope this works for u cheers kevin

Wow, thats old skool and out there.

Usually with discus HTTH is more of the HLLE - you can see it manifest before the head starts to dimple. I have noticed that you have not given us any of your Q-tank parameters. Can you give us a read out - KH and GH included as this is a discus.

Have you ruled out Spironucleus or Crytobia? Although always lean towards water quality issues first and then treat for the secondary bacterial infection

hi bidkev you can treat hole in head with condi crystal but there is a secret best to use clove oil first only 4-6 drops 10 liter bucket when fish is up sidedown u push the condi crystal directly into the wound but you cannot get it into the eyes of the fish as they will go blind return to a bucket of fresh airated water when fish is swimming around put back into tank, works usually first time if not repeat process will get fungus over the hole when the fungus falls of in a few days the crater will have new skin underneath hope this works for u cheers kevin

kev told me about this a few months ago , it worked for me on a frontie with HTH

big kev knows shite !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to get this a try. I am a bit worried about the clove oil though. Do you just used regular Chemist Clove Oil?