togaboii

how to build a pond safe to breed plecos,common or sailfin. please help

step 1: hire BIG excavator

step 2: dig BIG hole

step 3: fill BIG hole with water

step 4: fill with plecos

step 5: top BIG hole up with water weekly or wait for rain.

step 6: ??

step 7: brisbane floods again and you lose all your precious plecos and get a mega fine from DPI

"Unless you have a permit to do so, it is an offence to stock your farm dam with fish that do not occur naturally in your area. Stocking the wrong fish in your dam may lead to irreversible changes to local fish populations if the fish escape from your dam during floods.

You are allowed to put goldfish and other prescribed non-indigenous fish (see prescribed list) into ornamental ponds, as long as they don't escape during high rainfall. "

There was a fella down this way a few years ago breeding sailfin gibb's in a polytank. It was a 20'000 gal tank with the top cut off. It was about 1500mm high from memory and he had filled the bottom third with a sand & clay mixture as a substrate. From what I remember the water was less than 1m deep. He used to don a pair of goggles and float around in it sticking his arms down the burrows collecting handfuls of eggs! Only problem was one of his males must have been infertile as he was never able to hatch any out!

A rumour I heard, from a trusted person mind you, is clay. Not just any clay but proper earthern clay. Get in the good books with an excavator op that works on deep cut outs. You need the clay that is pretty far down as to aleviate the chances of impurities and contamination. Add a huge chunk of this to any large water holding vessel and you have an instant breeding site for plecos. It also bypasses most dpi regs.

Please keep in mind that this is only a rumour, I was gunna try it out in a 50k litre pool but u can imagine what wifey said about it lol. So what I have said is only speculation and I will not be held responsible if it dont work. That said it is apparently the way this person got their 104s to spawn for the first time many moons ago

A rumour I heard, from a trusted person mind you, is clay. Not just any clay but proper earthern clay. Get in the good books with an excavator op that works on deep cut outs. You need the clay that is pretty far down as to aleviate the chances of impurities and contamination. Add a huge chunk of this to any large water holding vessel and you have an instant breeding site for plecos. It also bypasses most dpi regs.

Please keep in mind that this is only a rumour, I was gunna try it out in a 50k litre pool but u can imagine what wifey said about it lol. So what I have said is only speculation and I will not be held responsible if it dont work. That said it is apparently the way this person got their 104s to spawn for the first time many moons ago

hmmm i've heard that rumour too,

apparently they need clay to breed, they burrow into it and make their caves in it.

i have bred goldspots sailfins normal gibbys , chocolate and albinos in tanks n yes u need clay , n no u dont need an excavator , helpful tip , go to pottery supplier , they sell raw earthern clay , thats as much as im giving away for free n goodluck with your venture

one more tip , i use pvc pipe , for a log capped at one end , must be a tight fit , and roughened on the inside for egg adherence, they dont need need the clay to burrow into if you use the clay n the pvc in a certain manner , its more so the contents of the clay , ie the mineral contents that harden the water that get them to spawn with high temnps , remermber they are collected from almost stagnent waters that are low in oxygen , with low water , turnover