bjc90

Breeding Pairs of Peacock Bass, WHO OWNS THEM?

I am not after buying them at all. I just would like to know who owns a pair and who are they from. EG mine were from bob01. I just would like to know what blood lines are around. Please dont PM me i think it would be an advantage for everyone to know what blood lines are around.

Think this makes sense lol

Cheers

bloodlines ? really? not meaning to sound harsh but i know of a breeder that sends his fry all over the country. fish sourced from perth or melbourne come from the same stock. if thats the case, how different bloodline are yours likely to be from other breeders? being that they will likely have fish from the same batch as yours or a batch or 2 before or after. this sorta bloodline talk allways facinates me truth be told and yes i would like to see a breeders list as such ;)

well yeah thats right, it all started from a select few and i want to know how close you can get to those original fish imported. The more and more inbred the fish become the more they loose their colour or less colourfull or however youd like to put it. That is why i am trying to narrow down the best stock for pbass if you know what i mean.

well yeah thats right, it all started from a select few and i want to know how close you can get to those original fish imported. The more and more inbred the fish become the more they loose their colour or less colourfull or however youd like to put it. That is why i am trying to narrow down the best stock for pbass if you know what i mean.

yes i know what ya mean, its just hard to pinpoint without real proof that different batches came into the country from different collection points i guess. i really havnt seen fish loose colour or anything from too much inbreeding (is there such a thing?) but there may be a slightly higher incidence of mongaloids in da mix. gotta remember cichlids are kinda like "darwins finch" in that they evolve differently from collection point to collection point in traits and especially colouration. its good to try and source unrelated fish but in my knowledge of the cichla spp. in oz there are limited successful breeders and hence the gene pool is no more then a couple generations apart. that is unless another batch are smuggled into oz......and who knows.....thats allways possible :lol:

Edited by tuffy_rana

From what I know (which isnt much if you ask some people :P) there was only orriginalyy a handfull, like a dozen or so orginal fish sneaked in. They would of deffinatly been asian farmed fish, being monoXoccie rubbish.

As Tuffy said, they arnt the easiest fish to get to spawn or look after theireggs/frys so people would breed whatever fishes would breed to get them out there, this is what happen today, they get pumpped out because they still (I dont't really know why) demand a high price.

I only know of 1 really deddicated breeder who has a very particular eye for quality fish & has only bought & breed the best that he could find to have pretty much perfectly (or close to) marked offspring. My hatt goes off to him because he has done an amazing job with the fry he has produced. :)

I can get you occellaris fry from down south not a problem, buy I honestly believe that they arnt true & there are no true cichla in Aus, most are just rubbish with crapp markings.

Just my 2c here.

Apparently for the first 3 weeks or so they need live brine shrimp. 3-4 times a day early morning then even it out through to late night.. If you miss a feeding they will pretty much all die off.

Once theres a heap of fry its not that hard you just have to be super into raising them and spending a heap of time and effort making sure they are fed.

I got told this from a breeder..

Traded some fish for 20 of kevs, feed them a mix of flake, pellets,blood worms & a fair bit of feeders & cherry shrimp . Still down to 15 just walked in to another one hanging out his brothers mouth ? It's what they do !! Buggers

A quick tip is be careful what size tank you put them in when small as they are very skiddish & go from 0 - 100 in split second & will go head fisrt into the glass walls of the tank, this will kill more of them than anything, also try feeding mashed up river prawns they will get more nutrients & takes them longer to digest than flake & they will take it easier.

So at what size would you guys consider them "safe" ...as in, in the clear of dieing off for reasons that aren't easily controlled....

They eat like the clappers. My 7 took out over 150 gudgeons this week as well as bloodworm and even at 50% water change every 2nd day, nitrates are sitting on 40! Gross feeders need nitrtates checking daily as although adults can take it, some fry species can't and I reckon PB's are one of those that can't. I'm keeping mine in rainwater and they've trebled in size in 4 weeks.

I had 15 and lost 3, never saw what happened to them, they just disappeared. My guess is the ones that grew faster and hence got a tad bigger than the more weak ones, ate the smaller ones.

I bought more than I wanted so I waited a month or so and weeded out the meak (and cashed in $$)... :)

Well I only have one thats around 18cm.....he is in a 4x4x2 with 2 adult geos. I have tried him once in the 8x2.5x2.5 but he is very skittish (not sure if its because of the larger fish)...but he is skittish to the point where I have found him upside down floating....fished him out put him back in the 4x4x2 and he's happy as larry again.

Traded some fish for 20 of kevs, feed them a mix of flake, pellets,blood worms & a fair bit of feeders & cherry shrimp . Still down to 15 just walked in to another one hanging out his brothers mouth ? It's what they do !! Buggers

i have had a couple lots off kev and havnt had any eat each other thankfully. they absolutely smash massivore and will take the occasional bass pellet ;)

best way to avoid that is to keep feeders in the tank constantly.

kev

i have had a couple lots off kev and havnt had any eat each other thankfully. they absolutely smash massivore and will take the occasional bass pellet ;)

Yeah the ones that got eaten were a little smaller not much but enough, think it will be all good now there all the same size and are moving into a 6x2x2 in a week or so out grown the tank there in now didn't take long lol :-P