BEA_V1S

Under Water World

u guys should see the behind the seens amazing

went there when i was doing a aquaculture course at tafe and the filtration and plumbing going into the displays to keep them as good as they are is crazy

i would off loved to do this

heres the big fella makes you relies just how big these guy get when you compare it the the 6-8 inch red devil in front off him/her

attachment.php?attachmentid=625018&d=1229841653

u guys should see the behind the seens amazing

went there when i was doing a aquaculture course at tafe and the filtration and plumbing going into the displays to keep them as good as they are is crazy

Underwater world rules, but I didn't think much of the backstage tour. As visiting students, they may have shown you more...... All we got shown was the quarantine section, and a top down view of the big tank. There were pipes running everywhere but they usually disappeared into a roof or wall, and its not like they had labels on them. Coolest thing I saw was what looked like an 10ft tall skimmer in the quarantine section. Thing is though my guide was totally overwhelmed with the questions I shot at him and couldn't really answer anything with any certainty. I'm not sure if its done deliberately to keep their secrets hidden, or if he really didn't know but when I asked about their biological filtration methods or even what mechanical filtration, he had nothing. If I owned the place I'd have a pipe that runs 500m out to sea, and just pump in a tonne of new water every minute effectively using the entire ocean as the sump - hell maybe that's what they do, he couldn't answer that either ! !

The backstage tour was only $15 though (on top of normal entry), and we had an awesome day all in all. Was interesting, I asked why all they're reef tanks have heaps of tiny air bubbles making them look cloudy, and he DID answer that saying they are utilising wave simulators which create this underwater oxygen "mist" much like swell does when breaking on reefs in nature. This is obviously good for breaking down larger waste particles and keeping everything moving, but I was always told never to put any "bubble aeration" into a reef tank as it may hurt the coral? Can anyone elaborate on this? Is it because aquarium aerators usually produce a larger bubble?

I love the place! Only been there once though.. They do have pipes out to the ocean, or thats what I was told when I asked how they filter the shark tank. I sat hour about an hour at the red devil tank and just watched in amazement! There was fry everywhere around the bottom of the tank around the edges!

I did some of my aquaculture work experience there years ago. Was awesome. The "filter system" on the oceanarium was crap; probably still is. Just flows thru from the harbour. I got to dive with the sharks a few times and even did dive during the feeding; it was the scariest thing I have ever done.

Also on a side note , saw one of the best angry dad dummy spits Ive ever whitnessed there.. I can't remember where they were from but he was fighting fiercely, seriously yelling! Wanting a refund and wasn't going to leave without it if they did not do something about the heat and humidity, was one of the most scary/amusing sights I'm ever likely to see in a gift shop!

lol hennseey they do have a pipe linked to the ocean for the ocenarium that has several micro filters on it it goes out to past the rock wall at the point

yeh our tour was of everything even the back of the malawi display i thoght it was good and the guy we went to was a bioligist not just some guy that woks there

was fantastic loved it but the soft shell crab farm at pinkinba was mind blowing shhhhhhh but thats top secret lol