Put it this ay kev you need a grid reversion system that produces moore than you use , then yes its good if your bill is $1000 per quater

to be safe with all the rises $$ 5 kw -6 kw system would be ample ,

my bill is 440 odd and w run a 2.2 kw system and just covers it , but the repayments kinda let you down

Won't be putting anything back into the grid with my consumption which is 1300 bucks per quarter.

The way I see it, and correct me anyone if my figures are wrong.............a north facing 5kw system can expect to generate an average of 25kw daily. Average leccie price peak and off peak combined is about 20c a kw so I'll generate $5 daily equivalent to $1820 annualy. In that secenario and averaging quotes for a 5kw system @ $10000, it would take me 5.5 yrs to get my money back.

You will actually be putting power back into the grid during peak hours of sun. And you will be selling it for more than the elec costs, im selling excess at about 50c. So your bill will come down alot more than you think providing you turn everything off that you can in the middle of the day. That way you sell as much as possible when you can then buy it back later at a cheaper price, I hope that makes sense lol.

My 2.2kw sytstem has dropped our power bill by $300 a quarter, however we now have the inlaws living here aswell so it may have actually been higher savings. I however went with one of the most expensive systems on the market and it cost us about $12k from memory. So it will have paid for itself in 10 max. Im exceptionally happy with my solar.

Oh and another hint is putting air pumps on a timer, 15 on 15 off, I worked out it saved me enough to buy a new air pump every year with my lp100.

Another way to save money if you have solar is to use your washing machine,dishwasher and other big items on the offpeak times as you sell back green energy during the day for more than in the offpeak times

so you can make up to 15c per unit that way aswell.

For me solar is great and iam still awaiting to get mine but as i live near the coast iam aslo watching this item Windpods - On-Site Power Generation in Urban Environments will be great when qld has done all its testing and approval.

These wind pods look interesting. Let us know how they go for you. A house near us installed a small (backyard style) wind turbine and it spun around with the lightest zephyr. It mustn't have been popular though as it disappeared in a month or so. I think there are also problems for proxomity to buildings and neighbors for those.

The wind pods look much more stylish, and would not be a problem for neighbors or birds.

yes soon as i get more trialed info will be good. I have 2 small home made wind turbines atm putting putting out just engough to keep my battery bank charged for my 3 tanks in the shed which run solar during the day then through my regulator and into my batterys at night never worry about blackouts for them lol

lol i watched a guy on youtube make a 3kw windturbine out of an old ceiling fan thats what got me back into wind also in solar rember its not volts you want its watts.

little tip for all------Any dc motor wind generate power (old printer motors remote control cars drills etc scooters ) just put 1 in your drill which will act as the wind power and use a mutimeter to test it just rember most are only suitable for keep batterys topped up not charging and you will need a schotty diode to prevent battery back flow (you can use a led as they only work 1 way aswell the led just isnt as good)

here's my 1st 1 i built motor is a stepper motor from a janome sewing machine avg volts is 5.6 has been up to 18.3volts highest watts ive measured is 2.5watt currently making a new one.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/slycone/others/SANY0358.jpg[/img]"]SANY0358.jpg

Edited by Slycone

kev

We put 2.4 kw on our place - our bills were $200-$300 a quarter (depending on season - with gas water/cooking) - we are now (and pretty much should always be) in credit..!!!!

I also worked out that the system would repay itself in 5-6 years if feedin tarrifs and electricity prices stay the same as they are.

Another way to look at it is % return on your invenstment - in our case its was (from memory) $5600 - and I worked out an estimated return of around $1000/year (in saved electricty costs and feedin taffirs).

So thats ~17% return on my investment (and no more bills). you won't get that at the bank..

We used CSA solar - great guy - owner operator, no crazy deposits etc etc.

If you want to reduce your bill, solar will contribute, but you need to look at all your energy usage and see where you can find savings.

let me know if you want more info.

Edited by cram
edited quarterly bill info

kev my electrical tafe teacher was telling us the best way to get out of your solar *if u get one* is to spend abit more at the time get an inverter and some a battery bank set up set ur solar to charge and or buy on ur off peak tariff 10pm till 4am pretty sure and then sell it back to them at peak time at higher rate pays it off fast and in the end ur paying your bills if interested next tuesday i can find out some more info for you just send a pm

the battery idea is good but not worth it IE cost of extra wiring storage area(has to be vented and sealed area ) batteries at least 8 etc would cost around 2k + the inverter just to set it up.

better to get 3 more pannels and a larger inverter for the solar

Edited by Slycone

this is a quote from whirlpool fourms

Using an XW Xantrex and batteries you can grid feed and have a no break ups for your house.

14kWh of lithium batteries and a 6 kW XW is ~$17000 installed

so its big money to setup a power type storage as well as local council regulations

battery storage is way out of reach this is the link as well to the post best to ask here as there's alot of installers there

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1806926

There is a place called bio solar not sure on the details getting more info soon off a mate who is in the middle of getting connected at the moment they do a 5 year plan no upfront cost deal from what he told me its about 11000-12000 grand for a 4kw system over 5years he pays about 200-250 a month worth a call for more info ill post more if i find out

Solar panels and solar power systems on special for spring has anyone delt with these guys?

there warranty sounds good to

A great indicator of how you can buy with confidence is the warranty your supplier is prepared to offer. Ingenero has the only 10-year warranty on: solar panel and inverter defects; all workmanship; and all systems' cables, mounts, racks, switches and components in our Premium range of systems.

Under many solar providers' warranties there are many hidden costs associated with systems should something go wrong. Firstly, you would need to call out an electrician to diagnose the source of the problem. You would also need to make a number of phone calls to the hardware manufacturer to organise repair or replacement of your faulty part. Dependent on the manufacturer and its warranties, you may also be up for the cost of reinstallation of the new part. Our product and workmanship warranty, means you won’t have to deal with any of this. We come to you and look after the lot, from start to finish. Simple!

We also offer a 25-year solar panel output performance guarantee, which means your panels are guaranteed to produce at least 80 per cent of the rated output for 25 years or we will replace them at no cost. That’s all part of the Ingenero advantage