ozmo

20cm Festae M or F?

if its a true Festae, dont the females retain their black bars (including the Y shaped bar over the gill plate) while the males lose the baring and become speckled with dots.

i'd say its 99% Male.

I'll lay odds it's a female but unfortunately, (I won't lay odds) also likely to be a hybrid. If not, it's a poor specimen (at the moment)

yep have to agree with Kev... looks like a hybrid sorry to say...

either way, if its hybrid or not... not worth using to breed...

What is it being fed mate?

I disagree i don't think its a hybrid just a stressed fish, look at the chunk of tail missing. The stress also explains why the barring is indistinct imo.

Still a definite female though.

Dave.

i agree that its pure but in a slight bit of distress. i have seen males display this colouration before when dominated by other fish. look for blue speckles in the tail is a good way but not 100% accurate way to say male. the dorsal does say female but as i said i have seen males display it before. all that aside i would say with some certainty its female just judging the dorsal and anal fins aswell as the tail as they look devoid of speckles HTH ;)

I'm guessing it is a male ... the tail fin damage indicates something is picking on it... if you can seperate it and give it some tlc it should colour up better and allow a better analysis by the experts.

aka not me :)

I'm guessing it is a male ... the tail fin damage indicates something is picking on it... if you can seperate it and give it some tlc it should colour up better and allow a better analysis by the experts.

aka not me :)

that tail wound looks to be an old injury. when they split al the way to the stalk like that they never grow back. the lack of colour and the overall look of "i have cracked a case of the sads" would suggest something is "bigger and badder" in the tank but ;) as for experts...when ya find one send him/her my way please....i heed some questions answered....... :lol:

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I should have said in my OP... I don't own this fish. I spotted it in a LFS and it was labelled Female Festae.

So I'm not really sure what it's former tank mates or conditions were and I also don't know what it was being fed.

I thought I might snap it up but now looking at it again... Ah, maybe not because I would have to agree with some of you that is an ugly specimen.

Thanks again for your input.

Cheers,

ozmo

which LFS (i would love to have her!!)? think its a gorgeous fish! its more red than the orange some females tend to have these days! put it in with a male and she would be spectacular! female festae's dont have the deep red and black bars when not breeding/feeding or defending a territory.

which LFS (i would love to have her!!)? think its a gorgeous fish! its more red than the orange some females tend to have these days! put it in with a male and she would be spectacular! female festae's dont have the deep red and black bars when not breeding/feeding or defending a territory.

My females are coloured up all the time

It was up in Morayfield at Ultimate Aquarium.