99zim99

Discus display, 1m deep tank with plants and CO2, Chasing help with CO2 and light

Hi all,

I have a 3'7" deep tank, currently have frontosa housed in it. hoping to move them by christmas to a new tank.

I want to setup the tank with some 7-10 discus.

The tank is just over 6'x2'x3'7" and have got sand as the substrate, i have some golden cane and will be getting some more.

filtration I have a fx5 and 300W jager heater.

CO2

I am looking to get a CO2 for the plants. I have looked into a bottle and where to get it filled. I am just wondering the brands of regulators and solenoids to use and ones to watch out for. I might get a Ph monitor as well(not 100% sure yet). Any help here would be good.

I am a little worried about the tank depth being 3'7" and the amount of light, hoping the CO2 will assist with the lower plants.

PLANTS

I probably will not have alot of plants down on the substrate except a few that can grow up with decent height. Any suggestions?

Might put some val at the back and wouldnt mind a few swords. any ideas on types?

I dont really want anything covering the light too much, like banana plants. I am horrible with plant names and have no idea on ones ideal to my situation.

LIGHTING

as for lighting, I currently have a 6foot light with 4x3ft t5, two with grow lights and the other with moon lighting. Just wondering if i should be looking into some other lights or if it will be enough? I just looked at a thread with LED strips and could put a few of these on top to assist.

I dont really want the lights growing out of control as I have to empty the tank half way to get to the substrate( even then the head is still under the water. I have a vacumm to clean the bottom.

Planning on a fair few discus, juvies and growing them out, might put a few tetra's in as well. few catfish as tank cleaners. already have a few discus in a smaller tank from Rex that will start the tank off.

3foot 7inch deep....... wow (thats about 109cms deep)

if you dont mind me asking what glass thickness is that, or could we please see a picture

i honestly think T5's are pushing it to grow plants well at that depth.

you would be better off avoiding the ebay led strips as they wont have the penetrating power for that depth.

and go for a DIY led unit with 60* or 80* reflectors......

or get those ebay LED Floodlights.

post-3909-14711625580058_thumb.jpg

sorry about the late reply. 14mm glass for the walls, I think the best option is to remove the moon lights and get more grow lights. not looking for a 250w MH as the elec bill will be too high. just want a nice plant tank but not for rarer plants and hard to grow.

thanks guys for all the advice. Fishguy23 what are solar tubes?

have moved the fronnies and now setting up discus and tetra's. got some golden cane and just about orders some plants.

will get the CO2 in the new year, if anyone has ideas on brands?? that would be good..oh and glass too.

Thanks

Rob and Nicole

Solatube | Sky Lights | Skylight & Daylighting Systems | Brisbane, Adelaide, Melbourne & Sydney

can be done on the cheap similar to normal skylights by just extending them downwards

as far as i know people use them in marine more often, but the suns free and more powerful than anything else, within reason

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/solar-tubes-as-tank-lighting-170606.html

Edited by fishguy23