I have a fish tank in my room. im getting my room painted in a week. what i want to know is if paint fumes affect fish? because I have the air pump in my room it means the fumes will be getting pumped into my tank. in my tank i have 5 baby discus. should i move my tank? it will be hard to move, or does anyone know if paint fumes affect fish

thx

aagroves

I'd say it won't kill them the paint should

Only smell bad for about 4 hrs you can get

Waterbased gloss (it's crap) but oil is still

The norm ask the painter (nicely) if he can

Gloss out your whole room first first thing in

the morning just explain it's cause of your

Fish. If you asked me I'd do it (I'm a painter)

Oh and about your window you only need to

get the airline through pump can sit outside

With extension lead

FJ

If you had a say in it you could had oppt for a enviro paint something with a low voc count! if the painter had a qlue he would use an acrylic enamel for the wood work, no fumes at all with the paints i just recommended! as a painter i have had no problems with fish and fumes... but if you are worried you can cover the tank with a plastic drop sheet from the base of the tank create a bubble with the sheet, try to tape the sheet all around the base and leave the air pump in the bubble and try not to leave any openings as one drop of paint in the water will kill your fish.

Good luck!

Hangon.... Is the air pump running sponge filters or just an airstone?

If just an airstone and you have other filtration ie sump or internal filters, just turn the airpump off for the day.

Hangon.... Is the air pump running sponge filters or just an airstone?

If just an airstone and you have other filtration ie sump or internal filters, just turn the airpump off for the day.

Good point

If it is a sponge filter most powerheads

Fit on the up lift tube and if your worried

About the washing machine effect turn

The powerhead to the corner of the tank

You can also use an internal filter just

Make sure you put it in your tank min

24 hrs before you turn air pump off and

Same in reverse when turning airpump

Back on

Apart from all that info painting your

Room is the only other help I can give

FJ

I'd say, if you're that concerned and for piece of mind move the tank.

Sure major inconvenience but how much would you do for your discus babies?

If it was me, I'd just move the tank. No matter the job.

Chances are the tank may need to be moved anyway if its against a wall so the painters can paint behind your tank.

Having said that you could put a clean rag or something that may help to "filter" the air before it goes into the air pump. Kind of like a painter using a mask - not sure if that theory would work but I thought it was worth mentioning.

It will be fine. Water based is practically always used on ceilings and walls.

The oil-based on the window, door and skirting board will be dry in 4 hours at the most.

Leave the window open. Stop worrying.

There is no problem, I have done it many times.

As a painter as well the same as foot long carp in the material also just talk the the painter and express your concerns a qualified painter and one that cares should be able to look and the room and tell you if it possible or if he wants you to move the tank this way it gives you some sort of insurance don't let cow boys with there spray guns near it

good luck

its a 3ft by 1.5 ft. i do have an internal filter already but thx anyway fj. such a nice person :). i think ill just cover my tank and put maybe a massive garbage bad over the air pump and tape it up so the fresh air still goes in the tank b4 the painter gets here. and see how that goes. thx everyone for your help =]