brockssracer

Cooling fans.... do they work?

So now we are getting to some warmer weather I have noticed that my tanks have spiked to almost 30deg. Since chillers are super expensive I am looking into alternative options... So do cooling fans actually work? what sort of airflow is needed to be of use? will they work on 2-400L tanks? The reason I ask this is I have an idea, its extremely low power consumption, relatively low noise and very cheap.....

So before I invest in the idea I need to know that it works.... so has anyone tried cooling fans and what is their experience?

a big 40-50cm pedestal fan directed across the surface of the water will only drop your tank by about 2 degrees, and increase evaporation 10 fold.

so basically choose which bill you want to be higher, electricity or water.....lol

i saw this video on youtube. it was really interesting. the guy used a temp controller to control the power source for a waterpump. he connected the water pump to... ah ill just send you the link. im considering do this too

I also have been wondering about this. I have heard some hook up PC cooling fans somehow - but not seen how that is done (nor know how to do it) - so any tips would be great. I have recently installed security screens so I can leave my windows slightly open of a night to try and get the temps down. My 6 foot tank is 29-30 degrees now, but I am not worried for now, but least year when I had my 3 footer it was up as high as 32. So I did WC mid-week to try and bring some relief for the poor fish. The things we do !!!

yep i use mini fan on my tanks ... and it helps to drop 2 degree lower than the room temp .

Likewise, also have an evap cooler and a pedestal fan but for direct cooling of a particular tank, take the lid off and put the little mini clip on fan.

The warmer the water the less oxygen dissolved in the water

A evaporator fan can provide Good cooling....if the air is dry

If the air has a high moisture content (as is the case in a fish room or over a fish tank)then this effect is greatly reduced

Air over the surface of a tank Helps with water movement....and therefore maximises oxygen content

I'd suggest it is more efficient to just add air stones to a tank....that's what they do in Asian Countries!

Edited by Rod

Yes, they work. But as Simmo indicated it works by using evaporative cooling. Get a set of 4 for a tank your size, although how successful it is depends on how hot the room is where the tank is housed. If you have it in a room that gets the bulk of the afternoon sun, only the largest of chillers would help.