Sign in to follow this  
Braddo

Co2 via soda stream bottle

Been using liquid carbon on my planted tank with no real results. Was thinking about getting a sodastream co2 cylinder and regulator with the usual co2 bells and counters and running this. Was wondering if anyone has tried this before. Reason is can't really afford proper co2 set up.

That setup works as I know alot of other people on another forum (aussie based planted tank forum) use it

PM me if you want the url as im not sure im allowed to post it up here.

Try DIY CO2.

Coke bottle. Put a hole in the top and stick an airhose through - seal with silicon.

In the bottle put a cup of castor sugar and water - warm to disolve sugar. Let cool down and add the yeast.

Stick the other end of the airhose in the tank - either a diffusor of some kind - or I just stuck it in the intake of my canister filter - to smash the bubbles.

Yeast feed of sugar and produce CO2 that bubles out the top of the tank.

Note this is not able to be controlled. If you try and put a regulator on the botle it will explode. (Not a nice idea) Also make sure the bottle can't fall over (yes it happened to me).

The secret to a planted tank is keeping in balance CO2, ferts and light. Are you sure that the liquid carbon is the problem and you have adequate light and ferts. (typical god ferts do iron weekly or so and other nutrients daily).

HTH

Steve

im interested in good plant fertilizers - can any experienced plant growers recommend a product that gives results?

I love the DIY co2 idea - im gonna look into that further...

You can try Seachem Flourish, which is an all round fertilizers for micro nutrients.

or

Check out this site. http://www.aquagreen.com.au and look in their catalog, for a product called Dino Spit. nearly the same thing and cost alot cheaper. Can also order plants and native fish from here too.

Sign in to follow this