Shimmy

What to do in summer?

Hey,

Jst wondering what ppl do in summer to control the temp of their tanks...

Im sure im not the only one that doesnt live in A/C or have a chiller..?

What would be an absolute max temp for tropheus?

Thanks

Ed

my tropheus tank was at 32 degrees on a few occasions over summer id come home from work and look at the temp and was amazed at how well they coped with it.. i just made sure there was plenty of oxygen and everything was fine.. if you have ceiling fans turn them on and if you have security screens leave a few windows open to cool the house down.

Biggest problem with heat can be oxygen levels. The hotter water gets the less oxygen it holds, and fish can suffocate. Make sure you have lots of agitation at the surface. Try also leaving the lid off tank and having a fan blowing across it, the evaporation cools it. You can also freeze 2 litre coke bottles full of water & put them in the tank.

Cheers, Doug

When your using a decent size tank the ice will not affect the temp enough to make it worthwhile

Have a pedestal fan set up flowing directly on top of the water and this will keep your tank cooler then room temp

If your woried about fishing jumping then Justin has used Flyscreen over his tanks

Maximum air flow and fish cant jump

Yes you will lose water to evapouration but this is what is keeping your tank cool

Brad

Great thanks alot for the replys guys..

Sounds like I should be able to cope...the tank will be in the lounge room and we have plenty of windwos and doors..

the unit im in does get pretty warm in summer tho im told....

About the ice in the tank....I have been warned against this before as I've been told it can cause stress/white spot....?

Say on a hot day, where the tank is above 30, would it be ok to do a water change and instead of mixing warm water to match the temp of the tank, put normal tap water in? which is quite a bit colder.....I was think of just a really slow flow in......

Thanks

Ed