LeroyRiding

Amazon Basin Biotype for Oscar?

I would like to setup a proper Biotype tank for my Fiance's Oscars, Im led to belive they are found in the Amazon Basin?

anyone have some info on how I coudl setup the tank to properly match this for them?

they are currently 10" and 8" (2 of them) and are in a 5x2x2 Im looking in the near future to setup a 8x3x2.5 sumped setup for them and am after as much info on how It should be setup for them to give them the most natrual habbitat and keep them as happy as possible as I feel the 5x2x2 is much to small for them even at there current size, I would go larger than 8x3x2.5 but I cna feel that is going to stretch my budget to the extreems not to mention space and weight of sutch a monster tank.

The Ideas I had so far were not so much on the aquascape but more the tank design (will be getting Gary Maher to build more likely than not as all my other tanks are his (5x2x2 2x 18" cubes and 4x15x18) and I love his tanks.

so Basicly id be going for a weir (is that what is called?) in each back corner of the tank. probably rather large ones as I want to filter this tank at least 3 times and hour due to the filthyness of the fish (current dual fx5 setup on there 5x2x2 lasts about 3 weeks before the foams need cleaning and they dont get fed that much!)

probably going a 6x2x2 sump (cabinet will be 3.5 tall for better viewwing) and to accomodate the large sump, ive never really run a sump before, I tryed on my olf 5ft but it failed as i have no idea what im doing with them so i went back to canisters.

so if people can give me advice and ideas would be great!

(also plan to go with a 3d background but not sure on what to make it look like as im not sure about there natrual habbitat)

Thanks in advance.

(tank mates currently 2 silver dolars and a silver shark (dunon were silver sharks are from?)

sme think like this?

That is nice but wouldnt that 'technicly' be a 'black water' biotype? and I understand Oscars are 'white water' (im not sure what this mean im still learning with all this) but would that be the correct for an oscar?

Oscars thrive in tanks with heavy rocks and driftwood, they don't like bright lighting. Plants are perfect addition, however this specie might rearrange them as per own expectations. Due to size and amounts of excrement produced by these fish, excellent filtration is crucial - external canister filters are recommended! Test water on a regular basis for these values: pH, ammonia, carbonate hardness. Ammonia readings should be nil, carbonate hardness must be 4 or greater. The optimal temperature is between 26-28 °C (78-82°F)

info takenfrom below

http://e0.aqua-fish.net/show.php?h=oscarfish

Biotope Aquariums

link above also a good read

Edited by asunderf

Oscars thrive in tanks with heavy rocks and driftwood, they don't like bright lighting. Plants are perfect addition, however this specie might rearrange them as per own expectations. Due to size and amounts of excrement produced by these fish, excellent filtration is crucial - external canister filters are recommended! Test water on a regular basis for these values: pH, ammonia, carbonate hardness. Ammonia readings should be nil, carbonate hardness must be 4 or greater. The optimal temperature is between 26-28 °C (78-82°F)

When quoting other sources it is "form" to reference those sources. Not only does it acknowledge the author, it may prevent you, or the owner of this forum, from being subjected to a copyright claim.

the internet surely would be your best friend..as much research on these guys not as ornamental fish but as a member of an ecosystem would be best im thinking(if you want the real biotype)....you want to recreate the world they live in..and that includes many factors...some amazon guys love sitting off the edge of fast currents as the river water breaks etc...some love dead pool water...and then it also has to work for you...no doubt the heavy plantation/wood etc is going to be along these guys lines...but remember you have to get that peice of food out at the back that he/she didnt want to eat :P and you dont want to have to empty the whole tank to do so....we unfortunately dont have the amazon to continuously wash out our tanks with 1000s of litres of water....research research research....

the internet surely would be your best friend..as much research on these guys not as ornamental fish but as a member of an ecosystem would be best im thinking(if you want the real biotype)....you want to recreate the world they live in..and that includes many factors...some amazon guys love sitting off the edge of fast currents as the river water breaks etc...some love dead pool water...and then it also has to work for you...no doubt the heavy plantation/wood etc is going to be along these guys lines...but remember you have to get that peice of food out at the back that he/she didnt want to eat :P and you dont want to have to empty the whole tank to do so....we unfortunately dont have the amazon to continuously wash out our tanks with 1000s of litres of water....research research research....

Cheers, theese guys are mainly fed Goldfish and Hikari pelets, they never leave food behind! and the silver dolars and shark eat what comes out the back of the Oscars Gills, ive looked on the need for a while and not much on natrual habbitat, descriptions yes but they all vary :s and not to many photos. . .

what would be a good turnover to aim for? as im assuming 8x3x2.5 is gonna be circa 1000ltrs plus sump? so what kind of pump/pumps should I be going for? (going to run an FX5 as a backup filter aswell as to have a spare primed filter if i need to move one of the guys for any reason)

the only stuff i cant find on Oscars that isnt about them in aquariums is that bush people think they taste pretty good :S