danooki

Inline heaters!! Does anyone rate em??

Hi folks

In the process of setting up a little display tank for my to be born son! I had a custom shallow 4.5ft tank made and having trouble deciding on heater placement.. I prefer to use a decent 200w unit but all of the ones I have sit almost out of the top of tank (tank is only 1foot high)..and quite honestly ruins the look of tank..

So I thought about those inline units I saw on AOA. Just looking for advice and experience about these things!! Thanks in advance...

Does any one use them?

Do they clog up with gunk like the canister filter pipes do?

Do they effectively heat up tank without running 24/7??

Depends on the quality. I offer them to people with turtle tanks or big cichlids that love to landscape. You've got to maintain them just like everything else on your tank. Also I should mention that heaters with an accurate thermostat will seem like they are "running constantly" if they are calibrated properly - meaning they will click on or off a degree or less either side of what you've got it set to. This way it doesn't take as much energy to keep the temp consistent. Waiting until it falls a huge degree and back on again takes a lot more energy than small little on/offs

I hope that makes sense.

Harry,

What do you plan on keeping in there mate, im assuming its going to be kept in the new baby room, is there a real need for a heater as im sure the room will be kept fairly cool seeing that its for a newborn. I bet the lil fella will be spoiled with a few lil 201 bubs ??

Thanks for that little goby!! Sure does make sense... Any recommendations on "quality" ones??

Dvs969: no excuse needed this time round!! It was actually her idea(which I think she regretting now)

The Hydor ones are really good and won't break the bank - Comes in 100 - 300 W and they are a nice black plastic. Call the shop (I'm not there today) to get some prices and the guarantee :)

Heya lukey!! It'll be actually at the front entrance, I was kinda concern about humidity and water vapors etc having it in the nursery!!(sorry first time dad) Didn't also like the idea of WC up on the first floor.

I'm leaning towards some apistos, cories and of course a gang of 201's at the bottom...

Hey mate,

I keep planted tank, apisto tanks with cories and pencilfish and now going into tangs. On every tank I own I only ever use hydor inline heaters, heck I even have a 200w hydor inline hooked up to a 40cm cube and also one hooked up to a 45 x 30 x 35cm tank. I believe they are the best heaters from what I have experienced. I would rate them highest, and am in love with using them. Not only do they not go in your aquarium and make it ugly which lets face it, no one wants to look at a ugly heater in the tank but I have found the hydor inline ones are very accurate and precise to the temp set, and are hardly to NEVER actually on which is always a bonus as they seem to be very very efficient compared to my other heaters I have used in the past. Definitely the most efficient heater I have owned. They do not clog up, however if you wish to just when you clean your filter hosing (presuming you do? once every month or two), then just use the same filter hose extension wire brush thing and give it a quick squirl inside the heater to clear any junk on the hard plastic (there is foam inside and I have not seen any issues with that being too clogged). It always goes on the outlet so all gunk should have already been picked up by the filter so it is minimised greatly. Another thing worthy of mentioning, yes it will slow the flow down but only ever so lightly! It will not even be noticeable, heck dirty filter hosing does twice to three times the job of slowing the flow down than adding one of these inline from my experience. I run inline co2 diffuser and the inline heater and do not have flow issues.

Hope this helps.

Adam

Thanks I hope so!! It's a different one, I had the back and sides painted white(odd I know) but I wanted to match the solid white bookcase it'll sit on! It'll be just hardscaped with melaluca and a sand bottom.

On a side note of aesthetics. Has anyone painted the inlet and outlet/spray bar on a canister filter?? Would the paint leech and harm the fish? Ive ordered some white acrylic tubes for the vertical intake pipes and to also make a spray bar... But I'm stumped as how to make those elbows that go over the top of tank white..