Regy227

Pep BN spawns dieing

Ok so I have a 4 tank system all sumped together. Now i have a trio of peps who have been breeding for me and the first batch was about 95% survival out of 60 and they are now 3cm. I have the parents in 1 tank and a batch of fry in each. It seems to me that the more batches 1 have the more fish I have die. I came out this morning and the newest peps were out of the cage with about 40 already dead. Still have small egg sacks so its not food.

What im wondering is if any1 else has problems with keeping adults and fry in the same system as its as if the older fry are putting out something in the water killing the young fry. Just one of ym theories so if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

Thanks in advance

Regy227

doing nitrates and ammonia now. will do ph and give you temp and let you know.

Oxygen- the system over flows down pipes and and falls into the sump. I was thinking this would give enough oxygen so im not to sure. will put up results soon.

nitrite and ammonia are 0 each. will do ph

2 weeks I do 20% but if I have a clutch of eggs i sometime put it off til after they hatch to avoid loosing some to the water change

not related to this spawn as I did one before they laid

k i will up the water changes and see how the next batch goes. and nitrate and ammonia- both the results were 0 as in there were no traces.

oh and thanks for taking some time to help me out.

I was recently faced with a similar problem, not one of my 7-8 bunches of breeders could keep a batch of fry going for more than a week. Tried everything, Shutting down the 1100L System they were on and dried it out while I moved them across to biologically cycled tanks. After wasting around $200 in meds etc and waterchanges in a frequenting fashion I still had no resolution.

I got the shits, picked em all up and tossed them in the dirtiest/muckiest tank I had - a 4fter on 2 sponge filters...........Presto, I do maybe 2-3 week waterchanges of around 40-50% and they have never been healthier or happier, LF Albino fry are looking awesome after a month!!!

Some bn fry can be a little dumb on the eating for a start. All they want to do is shimmy up the glass when the food is down the bottom.

A frysaver can at least keep them all together until you get them eating cucumber or zuccine right, then when released they know what food to look for in the tank.

Sometimes I think the ph can have a bit to do with fry survival as well as tank temperature. Its sort of a trial and error thing with some spawns being great and others seeming to be weak as water.

What ph do you recomend brengun as i have been havin the same trouble with mine.I have been using rainwater and the ph is around 6 maybe even lower as my test kit only goes to 6 and it looks lighter yellow than that.So i am in the process of trying town water and put some crushed coral in my filter to try and get the water to a neutral reading.Will see how the next batch go.

Cheers Leigh

Yes it could be something like that. I think the bns like it a bit higher than really low in the ph. Kh may also have something to do with it. If your water has no buffering capacity ph crashes can occur. Quick and deadly. Coral idea is good, it should do the trick.

I am still reading up on it all, so many differing ideas and solutions with plain water lol.