Hey guys, I just purchased a pair of Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi and I was interested to know if any of you have bred them, I am thinking in an outdoor pond with some lillies?

Thanks, if you have any other tips, I would be glad to hear them!

you should be able to do it in a fish tank with rainbow fish breeding mops. I have a few in my gararge somewhere you can have for postage cost if you dont want to make your own :)

oh and just found peter ford's number

I don't know weather he is still doing fish, but he knows his rainbows very well.

Mod Edit: Please dont give out personal information without the persons consent.

Edited by FIIK

He lives a at redcliffe I think...

sorry fiik, should have pmed him and peter doesn't mind if I give out his number to people interested if rainbows. Found it on another post on this forum lol.

Oh, really?

could I just put some salt in the pond?

No! 8O Your gonna have a hard time trying to keep them alive outside let alone spawning them. Download this: Rainbowfishes.pdf. I got the link off that Adrian fella I was telling you about. Should tell you everything you need to know. I used to keep mine at 23 C* to condition them slowly raising it to 26 C* when I wanted a spawn. Do a 25% water change the night before and throw in some mops and Bob's your uncle! I had great success floating Java Moss on the surface of the tanks nice & thick then removing the parents after 3 or 4 days. The eggs will hatch in 5 - 7 days depending on water temp and can be fed rotifers, microworms, greenwater etc for the first week. After that they will be big enough to eat baby brine shrimp!

Good Luck, I expect some pic's when they arrive too!

:)

Thanks Justin,

So, a tank inside is the go aye?

I have a tank, Im gonna have to set it up somewhere tomorrow, it's 3ft long, 1ft high and 1.5ft wide, should be alright?

And ph, I read they like slightly alkaline water, I was going to use rain water but maybe that's not the go....

I am downloading that link now.

I will get pics up as soon as they arrive!

I found a pond at the local nursery with heaps of rainbows breeding in it, I asked if I could buy some and the simple answer was "no".

I cried.

These guys are one of the first to get white spot with change of temp I haven't stuck mine outside yet still to cold

last week during the cooler weather my tanks dropped at least 5 dg and these fish where fine ,didnt bother them at all,i also had goyder river tris outside in the pond ,have had them there for easy a month and they have already spawned at least 200+ fry i find that java moss is WAY better then mops ,pond was full of mosquito wriggels which would have got them in good breeding condition also.I think these fish are a lot more tolerant to temp change then what we give them credit for imo.hth

Very nice! Good size too, should have no worries getting a spawn from them once they settle in! Make sure your pond is covered or they will jump out & throw in as much Java Moss as you can get your hands on! Google "Greenwater" or "Infusoria Culture" and get a couple of brews on the go, you will increase your chances of fry survival dramatically if you have suitable food on hand ready to go! Goodluck!:)

I don't think I'm ever gonna see them again, they dissapeared into the pond.

I put some chicken wire over the pond yesterday, hopefully this keeps out the cane toads as well.

Is green water just an algal bloom?

I have a few tubs with "green water" in them if that's what it is!

and does the java moss grow well outside?

having bred millions of rainbows ,a first glance at your pics tells me there not tebras or pure head shappe ,mouth and colour are all wrong and both female.