Angel in Disguise

First Aid Box for fish!!!

I think Angel was asking what medications you keep on hand for the FISH .. not as a result of fish related injuries.

I keep SALT as my #1 preventative and pick me up for when fish are looking a bit sluggish.

I also recently found out that Betadine is a good option for dabbing on wounds or cuts ... I normally treat along with a short salt bath.

Other than that ... good filtration, good aeration and good water changes are better than any medications you will even be able to buy.

Melafix (Anti-bacterial)

Pimafix (Anti-fungal)

Myxazin (Anti-bacterial)

Sterazin (Paracide)

Aquarium Salt

Aquamaster's Rapid White Spot (Anti-whitespot)

Aquari-Cycline Tablets (Anti-biotic)

Big L (Wormer)

i bet half the fish related deaths are due to inexperience and the cocktails of medication omg, i hopes u guy's with all these meds dont mix them, or understand what u can n cant mix at least, some of these meds are strong n have side effects, i like goby post about dosage etc,

primary reason for sickness 9 times outta 10 is poor housekeeping, some dont like to admit it, but if people actually got off their butts and did some research abot water, and proper fishkeeping, i think you would find alot less deaths and less stress on both the fish and the aquarist alike.

prevention is far better then the cure, if you start to understand both your fish and housekeeping, and put solid routines in place tis happy days

this is by no means a dig at anybody, but a generic post to assist everybloody :)

Well with some medications it is difficult to understand the directions on the product. I ordered in some waterlife products because I heard they were very good quality but when I received them each one had the same label and the same dose rates.. it looked a little dodgy and I went online to check and they had all different information and recommendation on dosages :(

Melafix is easy to use but it's not often when I do have to use it, same with Pimafix.

Aquarium salt I use as a preventative and White Spot I only treat when I see signs.

I have done research about the nitrogen cycle and the effects of ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and pH but I don't know a lot about parasites or species specific diseases.

I agree with you 100% raycam. knowing what ailment your fish has and treating it properly is something that is only gained with experience and education.

Knowing what meds and dosages to use is a must prior to purchasing them. Getting it wrong can have catastrophic results.

n there i rest my case, no offence and i am glad you spoke up, but most peeps dont even know wat they are treating then everyone jumps on the bandwagon and GOES MEDICATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when i was breeding Tropheus full swing omg TROPHEUS FANATICS should be called Tropheus HANDBAGS, because the RUBBISH they dish out in regards to meds is amazing, really makes me laff, soon as a fish gets bloat, or seems to have an issue with it, omg med to the max, etc etc,

so lots more info is needed b4 the med hits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

once peeps relax and understand a few things will go wrong and to man up and say you know wat, i might have contributed to the issue, all will be good int he world!!!

over feeding is one of the main causes for alot of issues, but u never see peeps fessing up to it, its always no way i dun do it, and when i go over n helps out, its like guy's you dun need a shovel to feed ya fish believe it or nots :)

i like to helps

sometimes,

makes me happy

then i smile

like i ams now :)

cause ima like joining in on something

aint it???

please tell me i ams

pweaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:)

Edited by Peter

I haven't really used the Waterlife medications yet because I don't feel very confident dosing.

What I would REALLY like is a medicated food, but I don't know where to buy the medication to soak the food in from.

I might try and get it from my fishy wholesaler. That way I can choose which fish to medicate just by feeding them separately.

The only problems I get are white spot, occasional fin rot and rise in ammonia if I happen to be away or sick then nobody cleans the fish/does the water changes.

I know that I feed the right amounts because I have asked a lot of advice from my fish friends and people on qldaf, however sometimes other people feed the fish and they do a terrible job. I wrote up a feeding plan for each tank of fish and provide tiny measuring spoons for each type of food but nobody reads or bothers to do it properly :(

with those diseases you will find you will not JUST get them if u are sick or away, or u miss the occasional water change, you will find there is an underlying issue present, fin rot does not just happen, Ammonia spikes normally have something to trigger them, and white spot damn i cant remember the last time i had whitespot, i think i was ummmm 3 years old n i stuck ma head in the tank to get the cat out of the tank :) yes true story, so anyways use fresh garlic etc in foods to assist i am not sure what u are trying to medicate and why as u have not stated, but realistically all this commotion in regards to medicating everything these days is alittle premature!!!!!!!,,,, maybe me make a nasal sprayfor the fishies, that will helps??

your opening line worries me in regards to how it reads, i look at fish as little peoples, would u give ya kids or loved ones medication u had no idea of, because someone online said it was goods!!!

not sure

:)

I know that I feed the right amounts because I have asked a lot of advice from my fish friends and people on qldaf, however sometimes other people feed the fish and they do a terrible job. I wrote up a feeding plan for each tank of fish and provide tiny measuring spoons for each type of food but nobody reads or bothers to do it properly :(

kill them..................

Not all meds are good too. Some meds will kill certain fish so while you are thinking you are fixing something you could also be giving certain fish a death sentence.

Not only is it important to know how to dose but what fish it is compatible with.

We don't have all this at home but I used to, and Stacey does use these meds on a daily basis.

Oxytetracycline

Doxycycline

Lincospectin

Flumequine

Amoxicillin

Acriflavine

Malachite Green

Methylene blue

Copper sulphate

Dimetridazole

Ronidazole

Fenbendazole (panacur)

Praziquantel

Trichlorfon (Neguvon)

Levamisole

Salt

Trimsul

Betadine

Kondi's

Having all the meds in the world is no help if the water quality is bad, and without early detection and correct diagnosis treating is a bit hit 'n' miss but either way you'll learn something.

Ciao

Jeanine

Wow that is a lot of medication..

The main thing I want to do is prevent diseases in the tank, not have to treat them.

At the moment when I clean the tanks and do my water changes I add in Tetra Water Conditioner and sometimes I add melafix.

I feed my fish a mix of bloodworm, brine shrimp, tropical granules, hikari vege wafers, cichlid crisps and shelled peas.

The reason I'm asking is that I don't drive or have a car and would prefer to have a backup of meds at my fingertips instead of catching 4 buses to find out that a shop is out of stock etc and the $10 in bus fares it cost to go looking for one med. It makes alot more sense to have a backup just incase....

Wow that is a lot of medication..

The main thing I want to do is prevent diseases in the tank, not have to treat them.

At the moment when I clean the tanks and do my water changes I add in Tetra Water Conditioner and sometimes I add melafix.

I feed my fish a mix of bloodworm, brine shrimp, tropical granules, hikari vege wafers, cichlid crisps and shelled peas.

Treat the water - and you dont have to worry about treating the disease. I have a med cab bigger than what other peeps are posting but I almost never treat and I'd offer up my q logs to prove it. Pure clean water biotopically correct for your fish will never result in a disease. Then all you have to worry about is a proper feeding regime.

Treat the water - and you dont have to worry about treating the disease. I have a med cab bigger than what other peeps are posting but I almost never treat and I'd offer up my q logs to prove it. Pure clean water biotopically correct for your fish will never result in a disease. Then all you have to worry about is a proper feeding regime.

a very sexy reply and so far the most sense, nothing but the truth here, when my room was going, well over 100+ tanks and many many species, most common irritating Q was wat meds do u use bla bla bla

PURE CLEAN WATER and good routines, bham

i like u goby,,,,,,

so it means i like pet city lots now!!!!

carry on

I think you are asking about your shop tanks.

There are 3 things I tell people that we do at our shop

1) feed a lot of food. We feed 3x on most things up to 5x on others some marines even more

2) real water changes are a must - clean the tanks the water must be perfect (we use filtered water and a secret weapon)

3) if you overcrowd - which you will - make sure the tank can handle it

Inko - if you were hit by a bus tomorrow the shop will still open. If your tanks can't handle a day without you, you are doing it wrong. My last bit of professional advice is - learn to cull. It makes all the difference