Sign in to follow this  
briztoon

Raising Fry - advice

G'day guys,

Well I finally have a fry tank up and running, with about 40 Laetacara dorsigera fry in it. These guys are very, very small, became free swimming today (Thursday). Ideally I would have liked to have left them with thier parents for at least a week at free swimming stage, but they are in a small community tank and the tetras usually manage pick off all the fry before they manage a week at free swimming stage.

I have left about another 30 to 40 fry with the parents still, most of which I'll remove tomorrow. I would have liked to have waited untill sunday and removed the survivors then, but I have a nasty work schedule over the weekend and will barely be home.

They are in a 18"x9"x9" fry tank, with a small spunge filter. I'm currently feeding Sera micron powdered food. I will be doing a small water change each day, replacing the water I take out with water from the parents tank.

I had the spunge filter in the parents tank for a couple of days before I set the fry tank up, hoping to seed it. How often should I clean the spunge filter? Should I rinse it out in tank water and just squeeze as much gunk out of it as possible?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pete

Hey Pete,

I don't think the spunge will need a rinse at all, though I've never actually used spunge filters before so don't take my word for it. Sounds like you're doing everything else right.

I would be interested in a few of these when they're around the 2-3cm mark if you're looking for buyers too.

Best of luck,

Ryan.

Thanks Ryan,

Will keep you in mind. I would be happy if 12 manage to survive. So far there doesn't appear to be any losses in the fry tank. Mum and dad are down to about a dozen fry though, they're just too adventurous, and the parents can't coralle them fast enough to keep them together.

First person to get dibs on a couple actually lives in Sydney. :lol:

The sponge filters will need to be rinsed out with tank water, i've had crystal clean water, and take the filter out and its very black LOL. I don't do mine as often as i should but every 2 weeks should be right. I would physically squeeze it out also to get all the gunk out.

Also imo i find that slightly larger tanks are best for fry as they don't need to be moved as often when growing.

How are you're fry going on the micron powder? I find that it takes a few days before the africans go for it. I prefer to use live/frozen bbs or rotifers (rotifers are even smaller than brine).

Good luck with the fry.

Stace

Hmmmmm :(

Unfortunately all the fry have died over the last 24 hours. I don't know what the cause was, possible they were not eating the powdered food. I know I am going to have to set up the tank without any tetras, so the pair can raise the fry without any predators around.

Get a micro worm culture - Someone on the forum should have one to get you started .

And if you can get some brine shrimp eggs and as soon as the fry hatch start a brine shrimp hatch - that should keep them going .

Also watch your ammonia / nitrates / nitrites .

Better luck next time !

I have 2 Pr of curviceps but both pairs eat the fry immediately they hatch - I have not tried hand raising them yet as I have not had the time .

Live food is best including infusoria, vinegar eels, micro worm or Baby Brine Shrimp.

Sponge filters are an excellent idea and add some fish-fry safe scavengers like snails.

If your raising tank is too large, lower the water level to concentrate the food and raise

the water level as you need more volume (fish growth).

Baby cichlids are a good way to practice fry rasing as they are already quite large with substantial yolk sacs.

Sign in to follow this