Sign in to follow this  
shark bait

starting a guppy tank

Hi there my daughter whos turning ten has been wanting guppys currently we have a 4 foot tank with sharks in it of different types i looking at geting her 2 x2foot tanks one for males one for female i am not sure if this is the right way to go or not any and all advice will be greatly recived :cool: thanks rob

Hi Rob,

Unless you want a million little guppy babies then separating the m & f are a great idea unfortunately any female's you get will probably be prehit and can have multiple pregnancies off one hit without needing a male in the tank so if your not wanting to breed don't bother with females at all just have some male guppies....

Good tank mates for the guppies would be cory cats, bristlenose cats, neon's, a gourami, cherry shrimp etc the list goes on.

If you are going to breed make sure you have a place you can offload the baby guppies and lots of plants for the babies to hide.

Good Luck Jess

Thanks Jess

i never had any thing to do with guppys what your telling me make sence lets hope i can talk my daughter in to just having males with other colorful fish

we currently have sharks a rainbow ,black,albino,silver and red tail black in a heavy planted tank with lots of hiding spots had that set up now for about 5 years and every one loves each other

The males are the better looking of the bunch (sorry girls), but then again, imagine the wonder on your daughters face when she looks into her tank one day and sees several baby guppies!! (Heck, I'm 20 and still freak out when I see a new baby guppy) You could set up one tank for the adults and another for babies? When a female looks heavily pregnant transfer her over, and after giving birth put her back with the others, this will give your babies a good chance of survival. And it's pretty cool to see what colours they throw when they breed.

and of course, they prefer some live plants, I've recommend Lace fern for the babies to hide in. And I love keeping Bristlenose as tank mates for them, and they help keep the tank free of algae, and Albino Longfins look amazing.

Sign in to follow this