Sign in to follow this  
Ikola

Texas Breeding - Again!

Hi All,

Hoping for some advice...

I have 2 large texas in our 6ft display tank... They live with several other large cichlids and have recently paired off together and are successfully breeding...

Since mid December she has laid and hatched 3 clutches of baby tex, and today looking into the tank again there are more wrigglers in the cave with her...

I am waiting to get some dollars together to build them a full time breeding setup, but in the mean time the babies keep getting eaten as soon as the parents leave them to fend - damn Humpheads live next door!...

Does anyone know a full proof way to get the wrigglers out of the tank without destroying the tank setup or potentially killing the fry? I was told to syphon them out with a hose, do you think that would work or is that stressful?

Once I do get them out, are Texas fry intelligent enough to eat crushed flake, shrimp egg etc or should I be waiting till they are at a particular stage of growth etc?

Thanks for your help,

Todd

Best way is to get a length of any hose and siphon the fry out into a bucket and then put them in their own tank.

Feed them baby brine shrimp for atleast a month until their big enough to feed on larger fry powders.

Thanks for the reply!

I syphoned them out with a length of hose - woot!! wrigglers in a make-shift fry tank (now I have a good excuse for the wife!)...

Must have at least 300 squirming around in there... just got to get their food sorted and we are all set!

Going on the baby brine shrimp which I don't have yet - are they available ready hatched? or if I was to get eggs how long do they usually take to become edible by the baby tex?

Cheers,

Todd

You can buy bbs already hatched at some LFS or you can buy frozen ones.

If you hatch your own bbs eggs they will be hatched within 24 hours and ready to feed the fry.

Day 2 of the wrigglers being in there own tank...

So far so good, we have a small sponge filter in there and overall have only lost a couple that I can see - still more than a couple of hundred so fingers crossed...

Going out today to find some suitable food. This morning it appeared they were eating some very finely crushed flake so that was pretty hopeful...

Thanks for your advice so far!

Todd

A further update (sorry if this appears boring LOL only Texas' but, exciting for me!!)...

Been several days now and lost a few of the fry, but have still a couple of hundred at least! They are eating crushed flake and are in the process of getting brine shrimp sorted in a seperate tank...

All the baby tex' are looking very healthy, today is the first day they are actively swimming all over the tank - no longer just buzzing around the bottom and hanging in the corners...

I wish I had have done this the first time I saw a clutch LOL, didn't think it would be that easy to extract them from the nest and rock feature etc...

not boring at all mate, sounds great. first of many spawns by the sound of it. the baby brine hatchery is easy, if i can do it....

good luck and post some pics if ya can

cheers

col

Some piccies...

Here is mum looking after the fry before I removed them, at this point they are around 1 week old...

n547239320_1231968_5173.jpg

And, once we removed them using a hose, they are now happily living in a small raising tank - this is 4 days after we took them out... All looking very strong, eating and buzzing all over the tank! (Sorry not real clear at reduced size)

n547239320_1231990_3765.jpg

Todd

Fry cleaning tank time!!, there is a film all over the glass despite constant water changes out of my big tank and metered light, so will take more pics tonight once the cloudiness has settled...

Does anyone know how long these fry take to grow to 3 - 5cm, big enough to be seperated and enter other tanks etc? some of my friend have dibs on some of the wrigglers :o

Thanks,

Todd

Haven't updated this for a while...

Well after trial and error - we have 21 left that are now around 2cm - all very healthy. The babies are starting to show black stripes and a hint of a green / blue shimmer... they don't look like larvae anymore LOL.... The babies are also aware of me outside their tank and already will come to the surface and buzz up and down the side of the glass if they think they are going to be fed.

Getting the right filter, right water conditions and tank setup has been a good learning curve. My initial filter was far too strong so I think sadly that some of the earlier fry gave up swimming against the current and got filtered :urgh:

Consulting different sites on the net has been a wealth of knowledge with getting it all together... Got what I need for next time!

Not bad for my first attempt at raising fry as dad... previous attempts I had let the fish try and deal with it... Good to have a little return - My friends will hopefully enjoy juvi tex's in their tanks as soon as they are big enough to be re housed...!

I will get some pics and post shortly.

Cheers,

Todd

It IS exciting!!! Had the same reaction first time ours hatched. We have successfully grown out 2 batches, the 2nd of which are ranging from 3cm to 5cm and are for sale, asking $1 per cm. We did have a 2nd breeding pair but sold them because they were both breeding prolifically. Atm we have 3 tanks full...lol2009_0125fry0024.JPG[/attachment:17m78clo] with the last batch of day old fry.

great to hear. because you are so experienced now, if you dont mind me asking some questions??

i have a pair had spawn once since i bought them, i have transferred the frys just before they were able to free swimming to a fry tank with other frys (larger ones probably 1cm) and i never seen them again so must been eaten by those larger frys :sob:

anyhow, they have not showed any signs of breeding again? can you tell me how did you keep up with your breeding? mine are in a 5 foot tank and only by themselves, water change once a week and feeding 1mm spectrum pallets, filtration is to a 4foot sump as well as internal power filters. got 2 bits of slats and a vase, last time it laid eggs on the slat and took them into the vase, i then took the case out and emptied into the fry tank. the female will show black on the belly when its ready?? saw both couple of times have black under mouth but not the belly. how long between your to breed the second time?? really want to find out how to get them constantly breeding if you dont mind to let me know your experiences, many thanks

here is the pic of their home.

these are the photos they breed last time

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll37 ... MG1668.jpg

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll37 ... MG1671.jpg

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll37 ... MG1672.jpg

these are the photos now

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll37 ... 300001.jpg

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll37 ... 400001.jpg

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll37 ... 400001.jpg

We left the fry in the main tank till they were swimming...it's a fine line to grab them before being eaten by other tank dwellers. They went straight into a large tank. Before we sold the 2nd pair we moved them to a smaller tank because of the agro in the main tank between 2 breeding pairs and all the other fish. They settled in there ( tho the tank was a bit small) and bred 2 times! lol When the buyers came to pick them and the month old fry up we noticed a new batch of eggs. I think their tank needs gravel...they love to move it around & a plant/ornament would be useful more than just decorative.2009_0223fish30005.JPG[/attachment:2zurds4w]2009_0223fish30001.JPG[/attachment:2zurds4w]2009_0117tankfish0010.JPG[/attachment:2zurds4w]2009_0127newfry0013.JPG[/attachment:2zurds4w]

Sign in to follow this