Hello setting up a new tank and want to use sand as substrate never used it before want to know what to use ive herd bunning play sand before

how do you wash it

is there any problems using it like ive herd bacterial build ups and so forth

cheers for your help

I changed my display tank over to sand about 12 months ago - Bunnings play sand- no real problem, like it more then the old gravel all the crap etc stays on top, just takes a bit to get used to vacking it ( lose a bit at first till you get used to it) also now and then is good to stir it up after cleaning to release any trapped gases. I also got some sand from landscape place basically the same as Bunnings stuff! Just make sure to thoroughly wash it before use, place small amounts- 1/3 - 1/2 a bucket full and use the garden hose , shove in the bottom and stir with hand. Slowly it cleans

just go to your local landscape yard and get fine white sand,

it will cost you a fraction of what you will pay at bunnings,

9x outta 10 its cleaner too.

As for cleaning sand,

buy a lot of buckets, half to 3/4 fill them with the sand you need to clean,

get hose, stick hose in bucket and swirl the sand around til the water is clear,

drain water from buckets and repeat 3-4 times,

then add clean sand to tank, fill and rake to remove air pockets in the sand

Its lots of fun, Promise..........

Cav

washing sand is all part of the fun setting up a tank...............enjoy and smile, knowing it will save time later on vacuuming the tank. I have sand in one tank and gravel in another, the one with gravel needs looking after more than the other tank. Others may have different ideas.

Something that I will do next time I use sand as sub is let it dry out after washing it before I put it in tank. Because when wet you get heaps of air pockets in it when you dump it in . Cheers Jamie

I use sand in my tanks and like everyone else said, enjoy the washing but then end result is totally worth it. You'll know when it's go to go as the heavy sand will just fall straight down in the bucket and the water will be clear. I actually washed my sand about 8-10 times till I was happy with it and any of the lighter sand particles were gone and here's the results...... http://www.qldaf.com/forums/photography-video-lounge-23/new-shots-my-tanks-52747/

Used it once in a display 6ftr about 4yr ago.... NEVER TOUCHED IT AGAIN !!

Pain in the ass, especially you have some kick ass filtration with lots of current..

How do you guys clean the sand? I'm using pool filter sand in my tanks and I never even considered how I'd vac it. Wouldn't it wanna go up The vac and into the bucket? I was thinking maybe using a stocking over the end of the vac

Any ideas would be good

Mick

Edited by Melburn

This may be a no no to some of you....but I get lots of sand for free. I collect bucket loads off the beach. I wash it thoroughly so the water is crystal clear not milky.....takes me all day but its worth it in the end.

This may be a no no to some of you....but I get lots of sand for free. I collect bucket loads off the beach. I wash it thoroughly so the water is crystal clear not milky.....takes me all day but its worth it in the end.

this is illegal to do, be careful that you dont get caught

If your not hung up on having fine white sand, Pool filter sand has been great, Looks good, Was probably the cleanest substrate I've ever had out of the bag so was easy and quick to clean, Plus it has enough weight that if it gets stirred up it falls straight to the bottom. Great stuff imo

How do you guys clean the sand? I'm using pool filter sand in my tanks and I never even considered how I'd vac it. Wouldn't it wanna go up The vac and into the bucket? I was thinking maybe using a stocking over the end of the vac

Any ideas would be good

Mick

You'll get used to holding the vac just high enough to pull the crap but not the sand. That said, I never vac my sand nowadays..............the cichlids turn it over enough.

Geez I didn't know that.....why is it illegal?

Environmental...................once you let one do it, every man and his dog would be doing it.

Another way to wash pool sand (if your doing a lot) is with a cement mixer turns a lengthy job into an easier one ...and pool sand over play sand any day