Sign in to follow this  
dogballs

faster growing fry?

mate im the opposite, i find that i move more fish out of a 2x2x1fter then what i do out of a 4fter. im moving about double the amount of fish from a smaller tank then what im doing from a larger. both fish get the same amount of water changes and food , and probally with the same amount of fish in both tanks. i find it strange as i always thought with the extra space they'd grow a lot quicker.

I find that shallow tanks work best. It seems that fry use less energy swimming through the water column, and so more food goes to growth. If your 2 x 2 x 1 tank is only 1' high, that might be the reason. Also in a shallow tank, fry will find live food like artemia more easily and so grow faster. I like to use large footprint tanks, only partly filled and increase water depth as the fish grow.

I found I got the best growth rates using 36 x18 x12 tanks with a drip through total loss water change system with sponge filters ( not environmentally friendly ) and just feed as much as they will eat about 5 times per day and use a mix of foods .

I have downsized to just 11 tanks at present so I can no longer use that type of system . I just have a high rise 4 tank 24 x 15 (h) x 18 rack for fry . At present the fish I am trying to breed ( 2pr Curviceps ) have eaten their eggs every time ! so I do not even use them .

Sign in to follow this