steve6610

EBJD fry help needed

looking for some info on ebjd fry,

have had a couple pairs of our possible split jds breed, first couple lots got eaten, :), it happens when they aren't alone,

we moved 1 pair into their own tank, waiting for them to breed again, but a second pair have fry in the 6ft with other jds and some sgt, we put in an egg crate divider to see if we can save this batch,

my real question is, how long before any EBJD fry will be noticeable, (if there are any) our aim at the moment is to test breed the ones that pair up to see if they are splits, if not, i'll seperate and repair them up until i know either way,

well unless i get peeved at them and just sell them all, :), and keep rays and sarahs pair,

Hey mate, if you have a bad pair best to take the babies and raise them yourself. Here is a pic that demonstrates an easy size to differentiate between blue and regulars. Can't remember the actual size but you can see here what they look like and judge for yourself. I can judge from a very young age but if you are starting out this is a good size to tell clearly.

IMG_4559.jpg

Most are blues (white with thin black lines) and there is one regular that is a general brown without the distinct thin lines.

Wait till ya have a tankfull of these! Pretty cool sight to see.

bubs380.jpg

thanks sarah, nice pics,

time will tell if they are a good/bad pair, the ones with the fry were keeping the other tank mates down the far end, so thats a start, the egg crate will at least stop the others stealing the fry, they look to be just free swimming, so couple more days i'll try and move some, and get another tank running to move pair 2 into, :)

hi guys, i split them at about 2 to 4 weeks, untill then I cant tell the diff there is a tell tail sign to look for well before they really start to change, the sooner the better, next time you are up or have a batch call me I will come over and help you, I also have a few tricks I use, like above seperating 200-400 fish is hard, but I also take mine from the breeding tank with the mother on the second day as eggs (use a pot) and then take her out the day before free swimming about week 1 use BBS as food from then

Ben

got a batch now, the are just free swimming, not sure how many, bit hard to see them in the ship lol, parents seem to be doing ok, but i will move some in a day or so,

first batch that have lasted this long, so i'm not sure what normal ones look like, but these are heads and tails, lol, the body seems to be white with stripes, i'll have a closer look when i move a couple,