the German

building a 8ft planted tank( lots of pics)

ok so iv got this 8*2*2 setting in the garage out side of the fish room and its been empty since i got it 3 months ago so to day i went to get the sand and some other gear to set it up .the plane is to grow some plants that i can maintain with only a few bulbs on the tank .not to shore on the plants yet but iv got a heap of anubis left over from another project so i can start with that. filter has not been put on yet as im not shore what to use only got 2 sponge fillters so far .please give me some tips on plants and anything else .so hear is some pics of how i did the substrate.

this is the tank empty its not much to look at but for my first planted tank it will do

IMG_0701.jpg

some of the stuff i got from bunnings 2 of bags corse sand

IMG_0703.jpg

2 bags of washed sand

IMG_0702.jpg

so on top of the frist layer of sand i sprinkeld the bood and bone only about a half a cup over the hole tank.

then added 4 cups of marble chips and about 5 kg of crushed coral sorry i forgot to take a pick at this stage

then socked the peat till it swelled to the maximum amount and spread this out again

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

then the last layer of washed sand

IMG_0709.jpg

Your plants are going to thrive in this mix! Looks fantastic. Nothing a tonne of water changes wont fix.

Have you considered putting some sand in front of the layers at the front? Just use a card or something to pull it back slightly and fill sand in front. Wont have to see the layers anymore.

thanks Donny i was going to wash it but i spent the previous day washing 5 bags of 2mm black gravel and was over washing anything else . i no its big for a first planted tank but it was just siting there taunting me to do something!

thaiga - no was not really interested in co2 as this is my first planted tank and wanted to keep it low tec but that being said it mite be something that ill look at alot later down the road.

sarah-thanks for the tip will do today

Thanks Julie .I got my plants from forum members and the auctions .just keep a eye out for fs plant adds in the live stock .or post wtb add .and then there's the auctions next Saturday as I'm shore there will be lots there.and yes your right about the shops thay seam to order the same type for plants in all the time . But I'm shore that if you ask them thay can get something your after in at a cost