I have no idea where to put this topic in......so I guess this is as good as any.

Transport companies.......who can I use to transport fish? I rang Toll and enquired and yes they do take live fish if your are prepared to spend $140 for 1 Kg.

Geez how ridiculous is that! Surely there is a company that can offer a service that is far more cheaper.

Do any of you send fish away and could recommend a courier that is reasonable in price?

Please help.

Fastway is the only transport company that I know of.

Just use the standard labels for different zones?? is there extra costs involved??(other than weight)...sorry to ask..I heard a few people use these guys and they label as "perishables"(Is that the cheapest way???)...

The less you do the more it will cost you IE

If you bag and box the fish drive to the airport fill in the paperwork (not much) and get it picked up via another airport

as said AAE offer next flight service

FJ

You could also use one of those small polystyrene eskies. I've sent stock this way labelled "LIVE FISH" and had no probs

;)

I think it depends who you get and what mood there in

I have always use fish approved foam boxes so I wouldn't get probs ?

FJ

Nah...I was looking Brisbane to Melbourne(sorry Pistonbroke..not trying to jump ya thread..Im sure some of this info is relevant ;))

Cost a lot less if you have an account ??

You can use mine if you want cos I like ya

Dave

^^^ They will not accept a esky at Brisbane Airport on outgoing goods. Other airports may accept them to send but Brisbane definitely will not...Guaranteed...

Water in a cargo hold is a no go and AAE Brisbane is very strict on that one. Do not try it as it will only be rejected by them.

^^^ They will not accept a esky at Brisbane Airport on outgoing goods. Other airports may accept them to send but Brisbane definitely will not...Guaranteed...

Water in a cargo hold is a no go and AAE Brisbane is very strict on that one. Do not try it as it will only be rejected by them.

Good info there. Thats pretty much what I was told when I opened my account

Take a chance and you could be going home with your fish

FJ

Aww thanks everyone for your info.....but I just wanted to send 4 small bettas to a friend in Rocky. The box would have been half the size of a shoe box and weigh half a kilo. I looked up Australian Air Express in the phone book and I can't find it listed anywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if AAE Toll Ipex TNT QRX and all the others I missed are run by one big company which own and control everything on the road or in the air..... a bit like Coles and Woolworths.

Sorry I'm getting off the beaten track , having a whinge........I will give fast ways a try I'm sure they are in the phone book.

I'm just so frustrated that a small item could be so hard and expensive to send.

You have a couple of issues....but will stick to the ones at hand.

To send via AAE would think it will cost probably 50-60 dollars so long as you can get a hold of a small seafood box. They normally have a logo at the top of the box and a kg rate.

It is pretty difficult to get a hold of the small boxes, the bigger ones are easy to get a hold of. Try places like your local fish shop.

The problem with Fastways is that you have to buy booklets of tickets. I do not think you can just send like a single item without buying a book so you will end up with more ticket that you may not use.

Good luck...

It is pretty difficult to get a hold of the small boxes, the bigger ones are easy to get a hold of. Try places like your local fish shop.

Hi Pistonbroke Havnt lived in Cairns for a long time but Ocean world on sheridian street use to sell the little boxes for 9 bucks, or try patachinnis seafoods out at smithfield, most seafood wholesalers will have them.

Other option is could you do a dodgy and put them in a 2 litre coke bottle and send them snail mail? Be a lot cheaper. Steve

Aww thanks everyone for your info.....but I just wanted to send 4 small bettas to a friend in Rocky. The box would have been half the size of a shoe box and weigh half a kilo. I looked up Australian Air Express in the phone book and I can't find it listed anywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if AAE Toll Ipex TNT QRX and all the others I missed are run by one big company which own and control everything on the road or in the air..... a bit like Coles and Woolworths.

Sorry I'm getting off the beaten track , having a whinge........I will give fast ways a try I'm sure they are in the phone book.

I'm just so frustrated that a small item could be so hard and expensive to send.

Why don't you just send it overnight Platinum Post? To the door and fighters could handle an overnight trip. Just got to your LFS and get them to bag and oxygenate the bags for you.

I dont want to throw a spanner in the works, but from my understanding the site livefish.com.au use AAE as their courrier.. They fly fish all over australia and then courrier them direct to the front door? Ain't they based in in QLD?

Yes but they use fish boxes. It may look like a styrofoam esky but it's designed for fish transport (food fish). It has a fish embossed on the top. It's made to seal and not leak in the cargo hold. Lol do you think they'd risk a whole cargo hold of freight for a box of fish. It's not in their best interest so they generally refuse the non fish ones.

boolara gold fish farm do the same , aae have policies with different companies , and guidlines they comply to , u may see styro boxes that come into the country from the import of fish and u r unable to reuse them to send fish here in qld , the reason being 1 they havent got the triangle logo on them that rates them for sending by aae and reason 2 is , when fish are imported they arrive in a metal container that goes in the cargo hold , inside this is the boxes of fish , once opened the feds put their dogs in their , then aquis inspect the fish , bag by bag , box by box , then their off to quarentene rooms , then after the holding period their off to shops , aae has had water in cargo holds in bris , as a result they r supper srtict 5 , 10 , 15 , 20 , 25 kilo rated boxes , must be clean of cracks , not brown , and at the end of the day the acceptance of a box is at their discretion , remember when ur at aae , start up a chat , their friendly guys/gals , just doing their job and a few their breed fish as well

Google polyfoam and look up their Brisbane address. They sell the little 5kg airline approved boxes for $2.50 each and I think there are 12 to a pallet. It will hold one or two fish bags.

Bris to Melb AAE box size 39 x 29 x 21cm and 4kg filled costs $65 without an AAE account and me with an account by the time they loaded in all their account fees and everything else they could think of was $73. I will not be using the account again.

You need to get the fish to the airport within 2 hours of the next flight. To check how many flights are going to an area google qantas and look up what flights are available.

For Cairns to Melbourne you would be looking in there for a direct flight, otherwise it will stop over in Brisbane and you might have to pay double flight costs.