discus_noob

Painting Rooms with Fishtanks

Hi guys,

I have finally faced a dilema. Parents want to paint the two rooms of the house (my room and the office) that have the fish tanks, and the rest of the house as well in the next week or two. They have ordered all the paints so sh&t for me now. Anyways I want to know ways in which I can possibly keep them without having to move my fish to different location aka my mates, as catching 80 odd tetras in a tiny planted tank is going to be one hell of a PITA. Not to mention destroying my hard scapes in the process to get behind them. Any suggestions as to how to keep the fumes or any baddies from getting into the tanks. All are rimless braceless so no covers and no glass or hoods so please keep that in mind. Will just using GeoLiquid do? Or am I pretty well screwed? I just do not wanna strip my two big tanks as I know I could just move the two small nanos easy without destroying the hardscape.

Any help would be appreciated.

Adam

Gday Adam,

I have faced this dilema a few times and have found a few easy sulutions (if tanks have to left and can be painted behind where they sit) I usualy use black plastic to cover tanks with a air tube/tubes runing from the tank to a outside source (out a window) and then I use a pampend towel to cover the plastic as this seems to catch any extra nasties.

Just my experience mate.

Cheers and good luck

JOhno

Thanks Johno,

I just got hold of Jeff he rang me pretty much as soon as he read this, the legend he is. His advice was from experience too and he said that he would move the tanks away from the wall. I do not run airstones or any air pumps so I am fine there, and just lower my outlet so minimum surface aggitation. I would then have to run glad wrap or a towel with pegs over the tank (glad wrap leaving a small cm or two cm hole) and then running geo liquid a hour or two before hand, and dosing half strength there on after just before it goes clear :)

I hope this helps other people as creating this thread did for me. I hope to hear from other peoples experiences and how they did it too as it is always good to learn of other ways people do things.

You will be right with the paint fumes. i have changed the colour in my house soany time with out covering the tank and never lost a fish.

If u do cover it i would use plastic like suggested, when i spray the house for pests i cover my tanks in plastic then chuck a drop sheet over the plastic.

Hope that helps.

I would be worried bout moving them away from the wall that could be a long and painful exercise.

How many tanks?

In the past I have used cling wrap and a drop sheet to cover my tank's during pest sprays and when we had the gass leak. it seemed to do the trick pritty well. I did water changes every day for 3 days and turned my air pump to nearly full then I turned eveything off and packed away the intake for my air filter and I left It closed up for a day or two, but did water changes every day after the air had cleard. my fish did really well.