roboat

Size of return hose from sump

Tanks are 260 Litres there's two of them, pvc pipe for overflow is 25mm/1". I am guessing I will need a pump that can supply around 5000-5500 lph at 1-1.5m head. I was wondering what size hose/fittings I should use for the return, I only have 15mm gap in between the lid holding shelf thing and the end pane of glass opposite end of the overflow. The end where the overflow is I have about 25mm but this will mean the spray bar will have to be the whole length of the tank which won't matter too much.

I am thinking 15mm or 5/8" which should have an O.D around 20mm which won't fit in the gap. Maybe 13mm or 1/2" might fit not sure on the O.D, might be able to squish it a bit with a heatgun. Then there is the option of the closer end which would make me want to put the spray bar the whole length along the back of the tank. Which would probably be 15mm or 5/8" will having it that way create enough water flow throughout the tank to actually filter properly and pick up the crap?

The 5000 lph turnover seams like an overkill but if you're looking at adding more tanks then use a pump that size & wash off some of the extra back into the sump.

I think the quality of filtration is more important than turnover. Better wet/dry surface area and water distribution better than an extra 5 time turnover IMO.

I'd use a 1 inch pvc pressure pipe for the return from sump to tank including an inline tap per tank. Depending how much water flow around the tank will determine how to have the outlet.

Cheers

Matt